|Job Title||Application Developer|
|Home Department:||Information Technology|
|Employment Status:||Exempt; Full-time|
|Schedule:||40 hours/week with Flexible Scheduling Opportunities|
|Position Location:||Home Office, Telecommuting, or Remote Opportunities|
This position offers flexible remote/hybrid work scheduling and targeting candidates who are located within the 9 states which Society conducts business in. Visit us at societyinsurance.com to learn more.
Protecting our policyholders’ dreams, passions, and livelihoods has a direct impact on the communities we serve. We work towards excellence, conduct ourselves with high integrity, and take our work seriously, but not ourselves. Small Details. Big Difference. Find out how you can make a difference with a career at Society.
Society Insurance is seeking an experienced Application Developer to join our Information Technology team. The Application Developer will create software by reviewing business requirements, receiving a design, writing/testing the code, resolving test issues, and delivering/supporting a quality solution.
About the Role
- Performs application development, as part of agile project and/or maintenance work
- Performs Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) activities: transforms requirements into prototypes, writes code, performs unit testing, debugs code issues, promotes code, and provides implementation support.
- Researches and designs efficient user interfaces and software navigation techniques, with a focus on Customer Experience. Creates prototypes to present software design options to gain buy-in prior to writing software.
- Attends and actively participates in scrum/agile ceremonies on a regular basis.
- Works with Project Leads and/or System Architects within an Agile team to define, estimate, and complete project tasks.
- Records time consistently and accurately for assigned project tasks.
- Assists in executing strategies that mitigate delays and/or obstacles.
- Conducts unit, system, and regression testing prior to advancing to quality assurance and/or user acceptance testing.
- Collaborates with System Analysts and Quality Analysts to understand requirements and resolve any testing issues.
- Solves software and business process challenges by reading code or technical documentation.
- Supports project and application development objectives.
- You enjoy working with others in a positive, proactive, collaborative team setting.
- You’re a creative out-of-the-box thinker and seeks to improve processes.
- You enjoy analyzing, solving difficult problems, and always asking ‘the why’.
- You’re accountable and dedicated to meeting customer needs.
- You’re a self-starter and quality focused.
- You enjoy setting goals and achieving them.
- You like to have fun!
What it Will Take
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in computer science.
- 2+ years of application development experience.
- Experience with some or all of the following: Java (or Gosu); C#; Azure DevOps
- Experience in project-based application development environments (PM, SDLC, Agile methods).
- Working knowledge in designing and developing a multiple tier environment.
- Experience within the insurance industry and/or experience in Guidewire development highly desirable.
What Society Can Offer
- Comprehensive Benefits Package: Salary with bonus plan; health, dental, life, and vision insurance
- Retirement: Traditional or Roth 401(k) Defined Contribution Plan PLUS Profit-Sharing Plan
- Work-Life Balance: Company-paid holidays; flexible scheduling; PTO; telecommuting options
- Education: Career Coaching; company-paid courses; student loan and tuition reimbursement
- Community: Charitable Match; paid volunteer time; team sponsorships
- Wellness: Employee Assistance Program; health club reimbursement; wellness reimbursement
Society Insurance prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type against applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, disability, genetics, veteran status or military service, marital status or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status protected by federal, state or local laws. Society Insurance also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws.
Society Insurance is a drug-free workplace. Any candidate who receives an offer of employment from Society will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug test for controlled substances. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the pre-employment drug test, which is conducted in accordance with Society’s substance abuse policy.