Job Title: Bakery Assistant Manager
FLSA Status: Hourly
Reports To: Bakery Manager
Provides assistance to the Bakery Department Manager by working closely with all Bakery associates in an effort to ensure an enjoyable shopping experience is consistently delivered, all company policies and procedures are being followed, department goals and objectives are being obtained, and associates’ needs are being met. Contributes to store sales and profitability by effectively managing all aspects of Bakery department operations, to include but not limited to: labor, expenses, accurate pricing, stock levels, merchandising and guest service.
Creativity in the form of food is the name of the game in our Bakery; Festival’s bakery associates are here to enhance the special moments and occasions in our guest’s lives by providing a fun & fresh bakery assortment.
Bakery Department Leaders oversee Associates who enhance the special moments and celebrations in our guest’s lives by providing creative, fresh and inspired bakery items.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs tasks as delegated by the Bakery Department Manager and effectively leads the Bakery department in the absence of the department manager
- Reinforces Festival culture, guest service, and performance expectations to all Bakery associates
- Trains new Bakery associates
- Writes and conducts performance reviews of Bakery associates
- Documents violations of company policies/procedures by Bakery associates and conducts appropriate corrective action, up to and including termination
- Answers questions and provides guidance to all Bakery department associates
- Ensures all department standards are being met in the Bakery department
- Observes sales floor and back stock conditions; takes action to correct areas of opportunity
- Maintains appropriate inventory levels and ensures accurate pricing on products received and sold
- Communicates and works cooperatively with Store Director, Bakery Director, other Department Managers and Bakery Associates to maintain standards and exceed guest expectations
- Provides excellent services to all guests
- Assists guests with finding items they are looking for
- Takes orders for cakes and other special requests
- Packages and prices items from the service case
- Answers the telephone and assists guests using proper phone etiquette
- Addresses guest concerns and resolves issues when a guest is not satisfied with the service or product received
- Assists all department associates with daily responsibilities while leading by example
- Contributes to overall cleanliness of the department by picking up, organizing, and cleaning work areas, shelving, and sales floor as needed
- Responsible for the department’s timekeeping accuracy. Communicate to HR regarding any missing time, transferred hours, and schedule issues
- Required to maintain food safety logs
- Ensures all quality standards are being met, including quantity expectations at 100% by 10 am and 5 pm
- Regular, timely attendance in compliance with the work schedule, and adequate notice to find a replacement for occasional absences.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Education or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Understands being in a leadership role and how to motivate a team of individuals
- Must possess great oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of technology and the use of a computer
- Thorough knowledge of the retail food business, thorough knowledge of perishable department operations, merchandising skills, and must be able to make timely and effective decisions
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with guests and all personnel
- Knowledge and understanding of all safety requirements and company safety policies
- Must possess the ability to apply on-the-job safety training to recognize and react to possible safety hazards on store premises. Also requires proper training and knowledge of the following equipment/procedures: Hand jack, slicers, baler, trash compactor, fryer, oven, grinders, and mixers
- Must have WI Certified Food Manager License (Festival will pay in order to get certified if not)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands and work environment described below are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The associate must possess the ability to stand in place for long periods of time; walk in the store; bend, stoop and kneel regularly (50% of time)
- Requires fine finger and broad manual dexterity, and eye-hand-foot coordination in order to operate equipment
- This position requires the associate have the ability to have full range of upper body motion in order to occasionally lift stock. Requires the ability to perform repetitive tasks for prolonged periods of time
- Must possess functional sensory abilities in order to visually monitor the store, create attractive displays, and to operate equipment
- The position requires the associate to lift up to 60 pounds on an occasional basis (30% of time)
- Proper training and knowledge of power equipment which may include: slicer, mixer, oven, knives and cutters, pallet or power jack, WAV, compactor, baler, and/or other baking equipment
- Working conditions consist of occasional exposure to extreme temperatures (20% of time)
The Bakery Assistant Manager is a full-time hourly position. The work schedule will include mornings, afternoons, evenings, weekends, and holidays
Festival Foods serves guests in 40 full-service, state-of-the-art supermarkets throughout Wisconsin. At Festival Foods, we’re not simply selling groceries, we’re on a mission! Every business decision we make is based on our “Boomerang Principle”–empowering our associates to make decisions and take actions that will “Bring the Customer Back”. We are proud to be a family and employee-owned company.
At Festival Foods we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We are dedicated to building a top-notch team of skilled, experienced and service-oriented associates who represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and talents. Festival Foods believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates, products, and our community strengthen our ability to serve our guests, as we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people.