The Bindery Operator is responsible for day to day operations that include crewing product quality,
efficiency and administrative duties of the binder assigned. The Bindery Operator must possess the skill
to efficiently set up and operate one or more of the saddle stitchers. Works to maintain a culture of continuous improvement in area of responsibility utilizing Lean Manufacturing Techniques.
Bindery Shift Supervisor
Lean Expectations (Each employment anniversary year):
Participate in at least two hours of educational experience (s) such as job shadowing, technical
skills training, cross training, webinars, seminars, Lean networking tours, etc.
Implement at least one improvement idea.
Machine set up and operation:
- Coordinate Set up of the machine according to documented set up procedures.
- Set up, adjust and repair stitcher heads as needed for smooth and trouble free operation
- Change and adjust trimmer knives
- Inspect working parts and be able to recognize those that need replacement
- Setup, monitor and maintain inkjet systems when applicable
- Responsible for quality of finished product based on documented procedures
- Responsible for general maintenance and lubrication of machine
- Be thoroughly familiar with all areas of job finishing sheet
- Follows all required safety procedures such as: PPE’s, Ergonomics, Chemical Hazards, etc.
- Performs job in a manner that protects the health and safety of all employees.
- Maintain and update Lean Dashboard documentation for your shift
- Train new employees and maintains proper training documentation
- Suggest improvements to current procedures using Lean methodology and practices and
coordinates efforts with peers on other shifts
- Responsible for proper turnover at shift change
- All tools and equipment is accounted for and in proper place
- All information pertaining to status of current job is properly turned over to oncoming
- Print new work order at shift change for latest updates and review with crew
- Sustains cleanliness and organization in area of responsibility using Lean 5S principles
- Responsible for proper use of Lockout/Tagout and Extraction procedures
- Give direction to machine crew through production and down time
- Provide leadership as required
- Provide input to supervisor for evaluations
- Responsible for delegating job duties to crew assigned
- Assist with quality investigations
- As directed
- Mechanical skills, needs prior experience with Saddle Stitch machines
- Communication skills
- Administration skills
- Leadership abilities
- Understanding of Lean concepts and practices
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Must be able to use hands for a variety of repetitive material handling tasks about 90% of an 8-
hour shift constantly.
- Updated on 2/4/15
- Must be able to constantly stand for up to 8 hours
- Lifting between eight and 50 pounds from waist level and carry at waist level up to four feet on a
- Lifting between eight and 50 pounds from waist level and carry at waist level up to four feet and
lift above shoulder height and place it on a stack on an occasional basis
- Pick up, grasp and turn/rotate 4 to 8 pound handfuls of product on a constant basis
- Kneel and squat to do work on an occasional basis
- Occasionally 0-2.5 hours, Frequently 2.5-5 hours, Constantly over 5 hours
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to remain organized and self-directed in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to learn computer applications as necessary for the positions.
- Ability to read, interpret and follow verbal and written instructions, work procedures and other related materials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong customer service skills.
- Must communicate appropriate information accurately and clearly as needed
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Required to sit, stand or walk for prolonged periods of time.
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects or use controls, tools or equipment.
- May require the ability to use a keyboard and other office equipment.
- May require specific vision abilities that include close vision.
- May be required to perform concentrated work for extended periods of time.
- May be required to lift, carry or exert items or objects of reasonable weight.
- May be required to perform duties beyond standard business hours.
- High School Diploma or GED