It is our people behind life’s passions who will make the big difference. If you are interested in becoming part of a company that delivers market leading products, driving your own career and working with brands committed to active lifestyles, then you’ve found your fit.
Have what it takes? Join us.
The Category Buyer is a critical individual contributor role in Mercury’s direct material procurement organization. Reporting to the Category Manager, the Category Buyer builds and manages strategic supplier relationships and drives continuous improvements in cost competitiveness, quality, delivery, and innovation to support Mercury’s global manufacturing operations and product development teams.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaboration: engage ethically, professionally, and collaboratively with all internal and external stakeholders to execute purchasing responsibilities and maintain effective business relationships
- Supplier Management: build effective strategic relationships with suppliers, clearly and consistently communicating expectations, leading business reviews, and keeping suppliers accountable to performance
- Source: create and execute component sourcing strategies to meet requirements for technology, quality, cost, timing, and risk management in alignment with the category’s long term strategic objectives
- Order Management: execute requests for quote, issue and manage component and tooling purchase orders for assigned components
- Cost Management: proactively identify and execute cost reduction projects, and effectively negotiate and mitigate supplier price increase requests to secure the best value for Mercury. Manage purchase order pricing, including scheduled reviews and updates based on pricing agreements. Resolve invoicing/payment issues as needed. Monitor critical input costs for assigned categories, such as currency exchange rates and raw materials.
- Change Management: execute change management processes to achieve timely and effective disposition and execution
- Supply: ensure continuity of supply, supporting escalation of supplier delivery or quality problems and ensuring suppliers perform to resolve
- Continuous Improvement: identify and execute continuous improvement projects to increase supplier performance levels and value, and to improve internal business processes year-over-year
- Travel: regularly visit suppliers to audit capabilities and conduct business/program reviews
- Category expertise: build category expertise over time that supports contributions as a highly valued advisor from the perspective of cross-functional customers, and supports robust category strategy development
- BS/BA in Engineering preferred, Operations Management, Supply Chain, or similar field
- 5+ years of experience in sourcing, procurement, or supplier management roles
- Excellent negotiating and cost management skills; adept at managing conflict and handling difficult situations
- Excellent data analysis abilities and software skills, including Microsoft Excel, Power BI; proficient with Word, PowerPoint, Project
- Proficient with engineering prints and specifications, APQP, and PPAP processes
- Excellent time management and organization skills, able to comfortably manage multiple ongoing projects, prioritize and adapt in response to changing business needs
- Positive attitude, ethics, and international values to promote a healthy, diverse, high-performance culture
- Occasional day and/or overnight travel, up to 20%, domestic and international
- Expertise in raw materials, manufacturing processes, and supply base for engine components, electrical components, non-metallic components, and/or marine propulsion system components
- Experience in original equipment manufacturer setting with comparable scale and requirements to Mercury
- CPSM/C.P.M. and/or CPIM certifications
- Lean and Six Sigma certification and application experience
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and inspiration. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
EEO is The Law – click here for more information
Brunswick does not accept applications, inquiries or solicitations from unapproved staffing agencies or vendors. For help, please contact our support team at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-278-6942.
All job offers will come to you via the candidate portal you create when applying through a posted position through https:///www.brunswick.com/careers. If you are ever unsure about what is being required of you during the application process or its source, please contact HR Shared Services at 866-278-6942 or HRSharedServices@brunswick.com.#Brunswick Corporation – Mercury Marine