Fond du Lac
|Job Title||Commercial Underwriter I|
|Home Department:||Commercial Underwriting|
|Employment Status:||Exempt; Full-time|
|Schedule:||40 hours/week with Flexible Scheduling Opportunities|
|Position Location:||Telecommuting | Remote Work Options|
Protecting our policyholders’ dreams, passions, and livelihoods has a direct impact on the communities we serve. We work towards excellence, conduct ourselves with high integrity, and take our work seriously, but not ourselves. Small Details. Big Difference. Find out how you can make a difference with a career at Society.
Society Insurance is seeking an experienced Commercial Underwriter I to join our team. This position will develop and maintain a profitable book of business consisting of primarily small-business accounts by acquiring, evaluating, and analyzing information relative to risks to making selection and pricing.
About the Role
- Acquires, evaluates, and analyzes information relative to risk to make selection and pricing decisions.
- Evaluates renewal and new business accounts for acceptability.
- Will have sole responsibility for agencies as assigned according to territory needs.
- Builds and maintains positive professional relationships with agents and Regional Sales Managers.
- Conducts quarterly agency visits within the assigned Illinois Territory.
- Analyzes risk control surveys; identifies opportunities to maximize profitability; and mitigates risks and exposures.
- Provides training and mentorship to team members.
- You are self-starter who is motivated, driven, and goal-focused.
- You learn new skills quickly and like to keep up on industry standards.
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit.
- You enjoy working with others and building relationships.
- You remain cool under pressure.
- You can negotiate skillfully in tough situations.
- You can manage multiple responsibilities and stay on top of time-sensitive tasks.
What it Will Take
- Bachelor’s degree in business, insurance, or related field – OR – 3+ years of commercial underwriting experience with accounts similar to Society’s core products.
- Continuing education in the insurance field and earning designations.
- Proficient using desktop applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Valid Driver’s License.
What Society Can Offer
- Comprehensive Benefits Package: Salary with bonus plan; health, dental, life, and vision insurance
- Retirement: Traditional or Roth 401(k) Defined Contribution Plan PLUS Profit-Sharing Plan
- Work-Life Balance: Company-paid holidays; flexible scheduling; PTO; telecommuting options
- Education: Career Coaching; company-paid courses; student loan and tuition reimbursement
- Community: Charitable Match; paid volunteer time; team sponsorships
- Wellness: Employee Assistance Program; health club reimbursement; wellness reimbursement
Society Insurance prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type against applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, disability, genetics, veteran status or military service, marital status or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status protected by federal, state or local laws. Society Insurance also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws.
Society Insurance is a drug-free workplace. Any candidate who receives an offer of employment from Society will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug test for controlled substances. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the pre-employment drug test, which is conducted in accordance with Society’s substance abuse policy.