The City of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, is a beautiful and thriving community of 44,678 located at the foot of Lake Winnebago. Fond du Lac is a great place to live and work and its recreational opportunities are second-to-none. In addition, Fond du Lac is only an hour away from Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Madison and all those communities have to offer. We are seeking candidates for a full-time Community Risk Reduction Specialist. Scheduled hours are 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
This position reports directly to the Division Chief Community Risk Reduction & Life Safety, and is responsible for Fire Rescue initiatives relative to fire prevention, fire safety education, and community outreach; performing a variety of professional duties including developing and providing community risk reduction education, awareness, and injury prevention programs for all community members. This position maintains control of vital agency inspection records and is a point of contact with visitors and callers to the agency.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Customer engagement and a point of customer contact.
- Identify fire and life safety educational needs and assess the education program by analyzing department data and hazards from the community.
- Develop, coordinate, and conduct training programs for department personnel to enhance the delivery of educational programs to various community audiences.
- Develops, prepares, and delivers fire and life safety educational presentations and response plans for businesses, organizations, residents, schools, and City employees.
- Develops/schedules safety campaigns including news releases, flyers, articles, multi-media materials, public events, web pages, social media, speaking appearances on radio and television, community education campaigns and represents the City at public events to increase safety awareness.
- Manages Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Safety Programs.
- Responsible for handling residential inspection requests.
- Acts as a Fire Rescue Liaison for community events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Qualifications and requirements include:
- Experience in quality customer service through all communication platforms.
- Experience in multiple software programs (e.g. current Microsoft applications and other related resources including operating common office equipment).
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin Motor Vehicle License.
- No felony convictions that have an impact or are related to the essential job duties of this position within the limitations of State and Federal Law.
- State of Wisconsin Fire Inspector Certificate or ability to obtain within 24 months.
- CPR Instructor Certificate or ability to obtain within 24 months.
- Child Car Seat Safety Certification or ability to obtain within 24 months.
- Basic PIO Certification or ability to obtain within 24 months.
- High School Graduate or GED, with preference given to:
- Graduation from an accredited two-year college or university with an emphasis in communications, education, emergency management, business administration, public relations, or a related field; OR
- Any equivalent combination of educational instruction, experience, and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The City of Fond du Lac offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, 457 and Roth retirement plans, and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. This continues to be one of the best-funded public employee retirement systems in the country. The financial strength of the WRS is attributable to its unique plan design, funding discipline, strong governance, and the effective investment strategies of the State of Wisconsin Investment Board. Relocation and Tuition Assistance available.
Starting wage range is $25.63 – $29.09/hour based upon education and qualifications, with potential to receive annual COLA and step increases pending City Council approval of budgets. Position open until filled.
Please submit a completed application, or cover letter and resume describing your experience as it relates directly to this position. Submissions reviewed upon receipt.