Director of Communications
Apply Job ID 25371 Date posted Mar. 01, 2023
Quad is looking for a talented Director of Communications to join the External Communications team and execute the company’s integrated marketing approach to strategic communications for Quad and several of its subsidiaries.
This person will be integral in the development, execution, and stewardship of delivering the category-changing Marketing Experience narrative and campaigns through earned media channels, including media, analyst and industry engagement, as well as with internal stakeholders.
This person must have strong media expertise, communications strategy development and storytelling experience as well as executive counseling skills for day-to-day interaction with the press and senior executive team. The Director of Comms will also be partnering with Quad’s communications and creative agencies to ensure the strategy speaks to all disciplines and is executed as planned. The Director effectively utilizes experience, knowledge, and skills to push strategic thinking for the brand and its subsidiaries. This position reports directly to the vice president of External Communications.
- Leverage a deep understanding of media channels, industry trends, categories and consumer insights, to develop strategic recommendations that will deliver long and short-term growth for Quad’s repositioning of the company in industry and media circles. Candidate must have strong pitching and media relations skills to land stories in key trade, business and local press
- Develop annual /quarterly and monthly media strategies to guide campaign planning and key moments, working collaboratively with Marketing colleagues supporting paid and owned in the Marketing group, and activating plans across earned channels.
- Identify and recommend new media opportunities to support priority marketing and communication initiatives.
- Effectively manage projects and resources, to consistently meet timelines.
- Define and establish strategic comms ecosystem and framework with internal partners
- Identify and promote best practices, driving collaboration to ensure learnings are applied across the broader team.
- Support as team lead on corporate and marketing industry news related to Quad and its subsidiaries.
- Oversee consultants and agency teams who manage media plan development, implementation, and execution.
- Provide direction, management, and support to team members.
- Supervise, train and support staff (e.g., managing workload, delegating responsibilities and checking work for accuracy, performance management)
Minimum Qualifications: The ideal candidate is a self-starter, nimble, confident and with an ambition to identify fresh opportunities and drive innovative communications for Quad. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- 8+ years of experience in media relations, marketing industry knowledge a plus
- Demonstrated expertise in integrated comms strategy- skilled in strategy or insights-based background
- Strong leadership, communication and collaboration skills
- Mix of analytical and creative approaches to drive strategic contribution
- Detail-oriented and proven ability to thrive in a fast paced, ever-evolving environment
- Team-oriented and committed to collaboration
- Ability to solve challenges with a can-do attitude; demonstrates positive energy and resilience.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and quantitative/analytical skills
- Adept at injecting ideas, innovation and leading industry developments into planning assignments
- Able to guide others in defining high level strategy for business units and subsidiaries
- Demonstrates an ability to be curious and passionate about our business
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience
- Stellar written and verbal skills, with ability to present to executive team, maintain correspondence and internal documentation
- Thinks clearly and diplomatically when participating in a discussion to field complex or sensitive questions from internal and all external groups
- Develop/Demonstrate a deep understating of Quad media tools, data collection, and insight development
- Computer Skills/Software Knowledge: Microsoft Suite, Social Tracking tools (Cision, MuckRack, Meltwater, Onclusive or similar)
- Manage projects, resources, stakeholders, and participants
- Be a resource to others in developing recommendations to complex business problems/issues