Inspire and enable gymnasts to achieve their greatest potential, developing skills and techniques to succeed in and outside the gym. This is accomplished through effective leadership skills and safe spotting and instruction of gymnastics skills during practices. Due to the instructional nature of the position the Coach must actively lead and demonstrate all the skills.
1. Positively models and reinforces YMCA’s core values, mission statement, and relationship-building skills in all interactions. Provides excellent service to members, guests, and participants
2. Act as a positive role model using the YMCA’s core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility
3. Work effectively as a collaborator with other coordinating staff
4. Greet and interact with members as needed before and after class/team providing guidance, encouragement and motivation to every member while building collaborative relationships with gymnasts and parents to engage them in the class/team
5. Instruct and educate members on general wellness information, correct body alignment and exercise form
6. Communicate any concern, question, suggestions or criticisms that you have or that you may have heard from other staff, volunteer or members or the public
7. Train and develop personnel as needed
8. Assists in making decisions in the delivery of programs and in the relations with staff members, volunteers, and colleagues
9. Be aware of and implement all safety precautions and emergency procedures when necessary
10. Perform other duties as needed
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. One year experience in gymnastics or related teaching experience required, to include knowledge of gymnastics terms and skills and the ability to break skills down to a teachable level.
2. Experience and knowledge of progressive and Level 1-Xcel gymnastics. Demonstrated experience in safely teaching and spotting complex skills or a combination of skills as performed in competition.
3. Experience competing or coaching in a competitive environment is helpful.
4. A thorough understanding of the USAG policies and procedures is preferred.
5. Requires significant use of hands, arms, and body, as well as the ability to lift up to 50 pounds to set up and put away equipment and safely spot participants. CPR, AED and First Aid certification within 90 days of employment
6. Must be able to easily move through all program areas and effectively communicate and actively interact with customers.
7. Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills and the ability to connect with people of diverse backgrounds
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
● The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper gymnastics techniques.
● Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.