Fond du Lac, WI, US
Internal Job Title: Human Resources Generalist
Employment Status: Exempt; Full-Time
Position Location: Home Office or Telecommuting opportunities
Schedule: 40 hours/week with flexible scheduling opportunities
Protecting our policyholders’ dreams, passions, and livelihoods has a direct impact on the communities we serve. We work towards excellence, conduct ourselves with high integrity, and take our work seriously, but not ourselves. Small Details. Big Difference. Find out how you can make a difference with a career at Society.
Society Insurance is seeking a Human Resources Generalist in our Human Resources Department. This position will handle the day-to-day Human Resources functions including training/development, recruitment, performance and compensation management system administration, regulatory compliance, event planning, and employee relations.
About the Role
- Assists recruitment effort by sourcing candidates via a variety of recruitment means and social media; coordinating and working at job fairs; making public presentations at schools and organizations; and maintaining a professional network.
- Supports recruitment technology enhancement projects with assistance from Payroll/HRIS Specialist to create an efficient yet customer-centric recruitment process. Continually reviews vendor system recruitment enhancements to implement to improve recruitment experience.
- Maintains organization staff by reviewing applications; conducting phone screens, interviewing, and reference and background checks; administering assessments; partnering in hiring decisions; presenting and negotiating offers. Creates and updates position descriptions by conducting position analysis process and/or editing job information based on hiring criteria.
- Coordinates new-hire on-boarding process change needs in collaboration with Information Technology and Facilities; schedules on-boarding activities for new hires including benefits orientation, time and attendance training, new-hire orientation meetings, etc.
Benefit Administration and Payroll/HRIS
- Serves as primary back-up for payroll administration. Audits biweekly payroll.
- Administers FMLA by sending out appropriate paperwork, coordinating salary continuation or short-term disability, making determinations on state and/or federal FMLA with assistance of Human Resources Manager as needed, and working with employees during this sometimes-difficult time.
- Administers workers’ compensation activities by submitting first reports of injury; obtaining incident information from witnesses; coordinating return-to-work efforts with insurer.
- Conducts new-hire benefit orientation during employee’s first week with the company. Ensures benefit documents are updated appropriately on the company intranet.
- Conducts audits of benefit enrollments and changes to ensure our HRIS system and vendor records align.
- Assists with coordination of benefit meetings, open-enrollment meetings, and benefit surveys.
- Conducts salary analyses for open positions and annual salary-planning to ensure compensation bands are accurate using external market salary data; and recommends compensation band changes for approval.
- Works with Human Resources Manager and Senior Payroll/HRIS Specialist on implementation and enhancement projects related to compensation administration vendor tools.
Performance Management, Training, and Development
- Serves as a career coach to employees; coordinates career-development program with assigned groups; assists employees in creating a personal career-development plan in collaboration with manager; and provides resources to employees to assist in execution of their development plan.
- Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by coaching managers in development of performance improvement plans and assists with resolving employee issues.
- Utilizes performance management, skills assessment, and other employee-assessment data to define training opportunities for greater operational effectiveness and utilizes data to identify skills gaps.
- Leads coordination of company picnic, holiday party, and employee town hall events; determines appropriate event planning vendor; monitors vendor performance and event budget; creates and executes communication plan.
- Supports the Intern Program Social Events program.
- Participates in cross-functional committees such as Employee Engagement, Wellness, and Charity Committees.
Safety, Security, and Compliance
- Completes the annual compliance audit and works with Human Resources team members to make changes in processes and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Creates Best Practice Guides for HR functions and maintains Human Resources files and records.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by following policies and procedures.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications and literature; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- You are an active listener, a role model for ethical conduct, and values cultural differences and diversity.
- You enjoy coaching and developing others and am service-focused.
- You enjoy using logic and analysis to solve problems and can quickly learn new technical skills.
- You enjoy brainstorming and deals with concepts and complexity comfortably.
- You are flexible and deals with ambiguity and changing priorities easily.
- You are self-starter and enjoys working both independently as well as on a team.
- You easily build rapport and communicates effectively.
- You value self-development as well as the importance of business acumen.
What it Will Take
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in human resources with experience in training program development, recruitment, HRIS, performance management, and/or compensation management systems highly desirable.
- Demonstrated communication skills (writing, editing, and verbal) with attention to clarity, grammar, and detail.
- Strong computer software knowledge (i.e. Microsoft Office Suite, Social Media, and Internet applications).
- PHR/SPHR and/or SHRM-CP/SCP certification highly desirable.
What Society Can Offer
- Comprehensive Benefits Package: Salary with bonus plan; health, dental, life, and vision insurance
- Retirement: Traditional or Roth 401(k) Defined Contribution Plan PLUS Profit-Sharing Plan
- Work-Life Balance: Company-paid holidays; flexible scheduling; PTO; telecommuting options
- Education: Career Coaching; company-paid courses; student loan and tuition reimbursement
- Community: Charitable Match; paid volunteer time; team sponsorships
- Wellness: Employee Assistance Program; health club reimbursement; wellness reimbursement
Society Insurance prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type against applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, disability, genetics, veteran status or military service, marital status or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status protected by federal, state or local laws. Society Insurance also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws.
Society Insurance is a drug-free workplace. Any candidate who receives an offer of employment from Society will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug test for controlled substances. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the pre-employment drug test, which is conducted in accordance with Society’s substance abuse policy.