The City of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, is a beautiful and thriving community of 44,678 located at the foot of Lake Winnebago. Fond du Lac is a great place to live and work and its recreational opportunities are second-to-none. In addition, Fond du Lac is only an hour away from Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Madison and all those communities have to offer.
We are seeking candidates for the position of Water Plant Operator within the Water Division. Work is physical in nature.
Ideal candidates will have the following knowledge, skills, experience and/or ability to learn efficiently to accomplish the duties and responsibilities needed to fulfill the City mission by:
- Operating and maintaining well and booster pumps to provide adequate pressure and proper levels in water storage reservoirs and elevated tanks;
- Monitoring and maintaining Radium Removal systems;
- Monitoring SCADA (supervisory, control and data acquisition) to ensure system operation and adjusting as necessary;
- Taking process control samples and making system adjustments as necessary;
- Assisting in meeting the monitoring requirements given by the DNR and other agencies to keep the system in compliance;
- Collecting bacteriological and other DNR required compliance samples;
- Determining causes of alarms and resolve;
- Performing and logging generator tests;
- Visually inspecting sites and notifying supervisor of any abnormalities;
- Assisting with building, grounds and equipment maintenance at 15 well sites, 5 reservoir sites, 6 booster pumping stations, 3 elevated storage tanks, 4 water treatment facilities and various other facilities throughout the city;
- Maintaining associated electronic equipment (i.e. radios, fuses, bulbs, etc.) as needed; and
- Completing minor plumbing repairs to chemical feed lines and other various systems.
Position also requires the employee to be on-call every third week, includes holidays and weekends for emergencies on a rotating basis. Emergencies may include physical response or remote response via SCADA (cell phone or laptop).
Qualifications include knowledge or ability to learn of the various types of pumps, motors and automatic valves, their operation, maintenance and repair; ability to gain knowledge of, and implement SCADA program procedures necessary for day to day water system operation; knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions; ability to troubleshoot minor mechanical and electrical problems and repair; keeping accurate records, and noticing strange or out of character things/people/situations around high security areas such as water reservoirs, towers, tanks and vessels; and reporting any/all of the above to proper authorities.
Successful candidate must have the ability to use or learn the usage of the following:
- Handheld Colorimeter, desktop Spectrophotometer, Laptop, Well tape, Tablet, SCADA, GIS, and email;
- Pickup truck with a plow, ladder, hand tools, power tools, pressure washer, riding lawnmower, push mower, snow blower, etc.;
- Chemical feed pumps, well pumps, booster pumps, VFD’s, transfer pumps, ball valves, chemical hose and hose fittings.
Requirements include graduation from high school or equivalent, and two years of waterworks experience, or equivalent knowledge of water utility operations involving the operation, maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment; engines and motors desired. Possession of valid Wisconsin Driver’s license is required. Possession of a valid water operator’s groundwater, distribution and iron removal license, or the ability to obtain such is required within 6 – 12 months of date of hire.
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive benefit package including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; long-term disability; 457 and Roth retirement plans; and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. This continues to be one of the best-funded public employee retirement systems in the country. The financial strength of the WRS is attributable to its unique plan design, funding discipline, strong governance, and the effective investment strategies of the State of Wisconsin Investment Board. Relocation and Educational Assistance is also available.
Paid Time Off: We offer a generous paid time off package including compensatory time in lieu of overtime, 9 standard holidays, 5 floating holidays, sick leave (8 hours/month); and vacation schedule based on previous career and field experience.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive compensation package – $25.13 – $28.71/hour based upon knowledge, skills, and abilities with potential to receive additional step increases based on meeting and/or exceeding goals/expectations; annual COLA and step increases pending City Council approval of budgets; and future promotional opportunities in alignment with succession and career path.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a City application, or a detailed resume and/or cover letter describing your interest and experience as it relates directly to this position to Jackie Braatz (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Open until filled. Submissions reviewed upon receipt with first set of interviews being conducted after July 28.
Equal Opportunity Employer