Fond du Lac
|Job Title||Large Loss and Litigation Specialist|
|Home Department:||Property/Auto/Liability Claims|
|Employment Status:||Exempt; Full-time|
|Schedule:||40 hours/week with Flexible Scheduling Opportunities|
|Position Location:||Hybrid Remote/Telecommuter Options|
Protecting our policyholders’ dreams, passions, and livelihoods has a direct impact on the communities we serve. We work towards excellence, conduct ourselves with high integrity, and take our work seriously, but not ourselves. Small Details. Big Difference. Find out how you can make a difference with a career at Society.
Society Insurance is seeking an experienced Large Loss and Litigation Specialist to join our Property/Auto/Liability Claims team. This position will independently resolve large and significantly complex non-litigated damage, coverage, and liability claims for a multi-state territory and oversee a large pending of litigated claims by directing the activity of defense attorneys.
About the Role
- Determines insurance coverage by examining claim forms, policies, and other records; interviewing claimants, insureds, and witnesses; consulting police and hospital records; consulting with experts when appropriate; resolves questionable claims by investigating claim; comparing claims information with evidence.
- Settles large and significantly complex claims independently by determining insurance carrier’s liability; reaching agreement with claimants according to policy provisions and authority level; and handling mediations, arbitrations, and subrogations within authority level.
- Directs the activities of defense attorneys on a large pending of litigated files; establishes a joint case plan with defense counsel that is resolution focused; reviews case law, motions, expert selection and witness determination.
- Focuses on cost constraints and containment as part of the litigation process by reviewing billing and practices.
- Utilizes Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and determines creative approaches of ADR to resolve litigated files.
- Provides departmental support by mentoring and training new and current claims representatives.
- Coordinates new loss set up in manager’s absence.
- Maintains expertise in a specified line(s) of business and litigation through training courses and participating in continuing education coursework/classes.
- Attends in-person mediations, agency visits, key discovery depositions, and field investigations as required.
- Supports after-hours claims emergencies as needed.
- Keeps focus with continued file handling by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information, and making recommendations regarding reserve changes and future handling of files.
- Ensures company guidelines are followed by overseeing independent vendors during investigations, discovery, and settlement.
- Ensures proper file documentation by complying with company and state requirements.
- Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing claim information.
- Maintains professional/technical knowledge by attending continuing education classes and events.
- Contributes to team effort by participating on catastrophe teams; determining department investigation guidelines; providing feedback to underwriting as needed; building relationships with agents; and participating in evaluation and selection of vendors.
- You enjoy evaluating information and making decisions based on logic and data.
- You take accountability and conduct yourself with integrity and composure.
- You enjoy using logic and analysis to solve problems and can communicate findings in a concise and direct way.
- You are curious and enjoy seeking additional information – always asking the “why”.
- You are quality-focused and can manage multiple responsibilities in a timely manner.
- You are composed, resilient, and can take an objective approach based on data.
- You are a continuous learner and goal-oriented.
- You are analytical and have a strong attention to detail, testing, and documentation.
- You enjoy negotiating and identifying win-win solutions.
What it Will Take
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field and 5+ years of multi-line experience handling complex claims OR 7+ years of claims handling experience involving discretionary decision-making and increasing levels of claims severity including specialized coverages and loss adjustments.
- Valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record required.
- Willingness to travel in person to: mediations, agency visits, key discovery depositions and field investigations.
- Technical proficiency in commercial property and/or casualty claims demonstrated through knowledge and experience in insurance policies and coverage; claim payment procedures; insurance regulations and legal terminology.
- Professional designations of AIC, ARM, CIC, CPCU or equivalent coursework highly desirable.
- Litigation supervision experience and knowledge of medical terminology highly desirable.
What Society Can Offer
- Comprehensive Benefits Package: Salary with bonus plan; health, dental, life, and vision insurance
- Retirement: Traditional or Roth 401(k) Defined Contribution Plan PLUS Profit-Sharing Plan
- Work-Life Balance: Company-paid holidays; flexible scheduling; PTO; telecommuting options
- Education: Career Coaching; company-paid courses; student loan and tuition reimbursement
- Community: Charitable Match; paid volunteer time; team sponsorships
- Wellness: Employee Assistance Program; health club reimbursement; wellness reimbursement
Society Insurance prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type against applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, disability, genetics, veteran status or military service, marital status or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status protected by federal, state or local laws. Society Insurance also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws.
Society Insurance is a drug-free workplace. Any candidate who receives an offer of employment from Society will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug test for controlled substances. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the pre-employment drug test, which is conducted in accordance with Society’s substance abuse policy.