The Lead Buyer will be responsible to train and manage a team of buyers tasked with making inventory replenishment decisions based on system projections. The Lead Buyer also leads continuous improvement activities with overall responsibility for production improvements. This role will achieve excellence through people management and development, driving employee engagement, and meet or exceed the expectations of our customers.
- May hire, train, and oversee subordinate staff.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Provide direction, coaching and training to the buyers under their supervision.
- Develop or maintain KPIs for buyer performance.
- Establish annual goals and objectives that support the attainment of inventory budgets.
- Coordinate day-to-day activities to maintain scheduled production requirements.
- Work to continuously improve processes, maintain inventory integrity, and utilizing space constraints.
- This role has significant interaction with all levels within materials/procurement and partners with Safety, Production, Logistics, Human Resources and Quality departments.
- Expedites orders and requests as needed.
- Coordinates logistics to ensure product arrives on time to meet schedules.
- Communicates with vendors to obtain product or service information, such as availability and delivery schedule.
- Receives and reviews requisitions requesting goods or services.
- Procures materials or other goods and/or coordinates activities involved with purchasing products and services, such as raw materials, equipment, tools, parts, and supplies, for establishment.
- Collaborates with business partners on vendor management to meet business needs.
- Works in partnership with purchasing agents to negotiate vender contracts.
- Evaluates and provides recommendations for buying strategies to purchasing team.
- May oversee delivery from vendor and evaluate vendor performance/impact on business outcomes.
- Coaching and reviewing the work of lower-level professionals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Operations, Business or Engineering is required.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in a medium/high volume manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated experience working with lean tools and concepts.
- Must have advanced understanding of process control and production scheduling.
- Demonstrates a core value of respectful treatment of all team members in every discussion, interaction, and decision.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, basic solving and troubleshooting ability, along with proven leadership capabilities.
- Works independently with general supervision
- May influence others within the job area through explanation of facts, policies and practices.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and, at times, stressful environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Position involves sitting for long periods, standing, manual dexterity, stooping, bending and minimal lifting.