2ND, Short shift= 1:55p-11:30p OR long shift= 1:55p-1a
Realize your ambition. Say cheese!
You will support line maintenance and packaging line employees by monitoring packaging machines, picking and supplying correct films, boxes and pallets to lines, changing packaging film, and safely moving pallets to maintain efficient and safe operations within the packaging department.
Your Passion. Our Culture.
At Sargento, you work for a company you believe in, with a family of people who believe in you. Our culture stems from a simple premise: Hire good people and treat them like family. At Sargento, you can make decisions based on how they affect people as well as the long-term health of our company. You will be encouraged to make a meaningful difference in the community, in the company and in your career. With diverse experiences and tools to learn and develop, you can transform your aspirations into reality. If you’re ready for the right place to belong and grow your career, you can find it here.
What You Do.
- Comply with the Current Good Manufacturing Practices Guidelines (cGMP).
- Properly use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required.
- Read and interpret packaging line schedules and ensure correct packaging supplies are staged at respective packaging lines at all times. Return excess packaging supplies to correct storage areas.
- Assist/relieve Line Maintenance with thermoformer film and overwrap machine film changes. Collect and document film samples.
- Assist Line Maintenance and Packaging Leads with label and ribbon changes on print-and-apply case labelers. Inspect and report print-and-apply labeling quality issues.
- Assist Line Maintenance with the packing room equipment positioning and set-up in the morning, and the room clean-up prep and equipment removal at the end of the packaging day.
- Record production and film info on all control sheets (including roll stock numbers and codes dates.)
- Move empty pallets and pallets of finished product using forklifts and pallet-jacks. Check that full pallets have the correct case counts and that they are tagged and initialed by Packaging Line Leads prior to being moved to the distribution cooler.
- Track any surplus of labeled boxes or other packaging supplies and ensure that they are not utilized with the wrong product. Make sure unused portions of films are bagged/wrapped and properly stored at all times.
- Stretch wrap tops of finished pallets prior to moving them to the cooler. Install and stretch wrap corner braces and tops on pallets requiring bracing.
- Assist Line Maintenance and packaging personnel with the metal detector checks and documentation.
- General housekeeping duties in the packaging department (including cleaning machines, auxiliary equipment, floors, and removing garbage), and film storage and warehouse areas.
- Maintain organization of packaging supplies as necessary. Inspect and properly sort and store all films and packaging supplies that are received each day. Promptly report received packaging material damages or defects.
- Record finished pallets and proper code dates on control sheets.
- Throughout shift, keep floors clear of debris, such as cheese, pallet fragments, and packaging materials, etc.
- Periodically assist the Packaging Workers with the following duties:
- Inspect packages of finished product and notify the Manager of Packaging Processes or one of the Packaging Supervisors of: foreign debris, bad seals, quality of product, quality of packaging materials, correct and legible code dates, correct packaging, and proper perforation.
- Assist packaging leads and packaging employees with display box erecting, hand case labeling and case palletizing and packing as needed.
- Assist packaging line personnel with opening overwrap rejects.
- Communicate pertinent work concerns to co-workers, especially when changing shifts.
- Other duties as assigned including assisting Line Maintenance on weekend PMs and cleaning.
Your Education and Experience.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED/HSED) required or minimally enrolled with anticipated completion in 12 months or less
- Previous maintenance and/or food industry experience is preferred.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to learn and carry out lock out tag out procedures as required.
- Lifting up to 50 lbs. frequently.
- Lifting up to 75 lbs. occasionally.
Sargento is a refrigerated food production facility and the ability to work in a cold environment is a necessity. Machinery, moving mechanical parts, and robotics are used during production, so the work environment is usually loud. During sanitation work, you may be exposed to wet, humid, damp conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
With 2,000 employees and net sales of $1.5 billion, Sargento Foods is a family-owned company that has been a leader in cheese for more than 60 years. We created the world’s first, successful pre-packaged sliced and shredded natural cheeses. Sargento is based in Plymouth, Wisconsin, where we manufacture and market shredded, sliced and snack natural cheese products, as well as ingredients and sauces. Sargento is known for the exceptional quality of our products and for product design, packaging and merchandising innovations that have transformed our industry.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.