This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by, performing multi-craft functions, which may include non-technical electrical, plumbing, grounds, carpentry, locksmith, custodial, and painting; provides day-to-day coordination and leadership to other employees performing similar work. Flexible scheduling may be required to response needed for snow removal and emergency on-call rotation schedule.
- Fire inspections – Ext
- Sprinkler inspections
- Back flow inspections
- Elevator inspections
- Boiler inspections
- Scheduling of work orders.
- Working with outside contractors/Quotes.
- Maintains energy usage and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Assists licensed plumbers, electricians and HVAC personnel as appropriate.
- Adjust, troubleshoot, maintain, service, and repair mechanical equipment, HVAC, boilers, pumps, and controls to include maintenance service or repairs in one or more skill areas, including minor plumbing, carpentry, painting and plastering, machine servicing, electrical repairs or installations, or vehicle servicing.
- Performs tasks such as but not limited to changing light bulbs, installing paper dispenser units, changing filters, changing locks on doors, minor decorative maintenance and other tasks not requiring a licensed skilled trades person or journeyman.
- Inspect and monitor building and grounds (A.D.A. Fire Safety).
- Identifies and corrects unsafe working conditions with management oversight.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to all assigned work.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Handle complaints, issues, improvement projects as needed.
- Troubleshoot and respond to after-hours issues as needed.
- Assists skilled trade workers in one or more areas performing specific or standard duties to learn new skills as required for advancement and certification.
- May be required to utilize basic cleaning and other chemicals.
- May assist in training, assigning and checking the work of lower level employees.
- May order replacement parts and equipment with management approval.
- Strong understanding of HVAC controls, boilers, chillers, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems with both electronic and pneumatic controls.
- Maintain sensors, thermostats, valves, activator and other HVAC equipment.
- May assist with snow removal, plowing, and salting as needed
- May be required to assist with special events.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Associate degree or equivalency of experience; at least 2 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified or in building trades such as AC or refrigeration.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Ability to prepare engineering documents, specifications, and cost estimates for projects.
- Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to complete routine paperwork.
- Knowledge of facilities services including electrical, plumbing, HVAC, utility operations, building maintenance, carpentry and finish work.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to lead and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Must possess organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Ability to read blueprints
- Ability to recognize, diagnose, and correct mechanical problems.
- Ability to and understanding of test and repair electrical controls.
- Knowledge of software (Microsoft Office, Microsoft Teams, SharePoint) helpful.
- Ability to operate and manage energy management software.
- Ability to make periodical inspections of buildings.
- Ability to operate, adjust, maintain, service, and repair boiler, valves, circulating pumps, HVAC, DDC, and pneumatic controls.
- Must possess valid driver’s license if assigned to drive a vehicle.
- HVAC certification a plus or ability to obtain certification.
- Willingness to support the Mission and Core values of the University.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and name, address and telephone number of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Maintenance Lead” in the subject line of the email.
Applications received by November 15, 2023, will receive full consideration. Review of applications will continue, thereafter, until the position is filled.
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment.