Fond du Lac
Responsible for leading and managing engineering teams to achieve project goals, capital plans, and strategic initiatives. Has the technical expertise coupled with the ability to coach Associates successfully while overseeing multiple projects.
1. Talent Management
- Advocates for effective execution of the performance management process by collaborating with direct report/s to set clear objectives, goals and expectations.
- Conducts regular coaching and constructive feedback discussions to review performance and goal progress, assist with challenges, and identify strengths and development areas, all to support Associate professional and career development, while increasing engagement and motivation.
- Supports workforce planning and talent acquisition strategies by effectively staffing and hiring diverse talent for the organization.
- Addresses Associate relations and performance issues in a timely manner and/or makes appropriate decisions relative to performance challenges.
2. Overall Scope
- Advanced knowledge and specialized understanding of professional engineering concepts, principles, practices and procedures.
- Recognized mentor and technically credible role model and expert within the organization.
- Accountable for the performance and results of the assigned engineering staff with focus in the areas of process design, equipment specification, plant layout, project management, capital project management, development and implementation of best manufacturing practices, and continuous equipment/plant/product improvement.
- Provides process and equipment design specification to new product development stage gate system and new technology department.
- Provide supervision and guidance to facilitate learning, mentoring, enhance skills & knowledge, and improve performance. Exhibit leadership and set the example to drive high standards of performance, quality, and safety.
- Oversee engineering activities and work with others to identify, recommend and implement cost-effective solutions or alternative processes that improve efficiency and productivity.
- Coordinate engineers in the research, design, and development of complex apparatus, components, equipment, and machinery. Supervise projects, resources, and engineering efforts to coordinate projects from initial design through production.
- Facilitate communication to establish positive morale and engagement.
- Solicit feedback and recommendations related to procedures, performance, quality, safety, cost savings initiatives, and other functional information.
- Assess the team’s strengths and weaknesses in the areas such as communication, involvement, recognition, commitment, willingness to learn, skill level, etc. in order to coach, develop, and motivate Associates overall performance.
- Develop appropriate action plans and objectives to challenge team members to improve and develop their skills and technical abilities.
- Accountable for the culture of the area and showing support for the culture in all activities.
- Provide expertise in conceptual design and construction implementation of highly complex systems.
- Make critical contributions to managing and solving highly complex and/or large technical challenges using broad perspectives to identify solutions.
- Provide management and leadership for the continuous improvement and optimization of the manufacturing processes and innovative design concepts to provide best value for the investment.
- Provide consultation and advise on best practices for plant design, process equipment, tools, techniques, and regulations/codes. Adapt departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges.
- Direct activities to ensure compliance with federal, state and local codes.
- Ensure safety of all equipment, facilities, processes and activities.
3. Project Management
- Responsible for project management, leadership and direction of implementation of capital and other engineering related improvements involving the following major areas: cheese and whey processing, buildings/facilities, specifications, utilities, equipment, electrical, automation and controls, contract administration, start-up, and commissioning.
- Participate in all aspects of planning and development of projects from concept to completion, including: determining project objectives, design standards, specifications, criteria, timelines, budgets, resources, tasks, and supervising progress to ensure objectives are being met.
- Assign and prioritize engineering projects, tracking progress towards completion by following timelines to attain maximum effectiveness of engineering efforts.
- Work with engineers and project managers to assure work meets business needs, applicable codes and standards of quality. Prepare capital requests and justifications for improvement projects.
- Review and approve documents such as purchase orders, blueprint designs, change orders, and specifications to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Ensure accuracy in design and cross functional collaboration to deliver accurate scope, schedule and cost.
- Manage coordination with procurement for the purchase and delivery of project components and equipment necessary for implementation of projects.
- Direct the work and activities of suppliers, contractors, consultants, and designers.
4. Technical Duties
- Support manufacturing operations and overall optimization of the performance of the facilities by directing the development and implementation of production/processing methods and controls to meet quality and cost efficiency standards.
- Accountable for the development, assessment, and implementation of manufacturing capabilities, techniques, and equipment of high complexity used in production processing to maximize the efficiency and productivity of the operations.
- Collaborate with facilities management to assess business needs and determine appropriate course of action in areas of manufacturing technology requirements and/or modifications, product and process quality standards and cost control applications.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives relative to facilities performance, process technology, product integrity, quality and cost.
- Responsible for the scope, logistics, and execution of capital projects for the facilities.
- Develop plans and specifications, write requests for quotations, evaluate bids, and oversee fabrication, construction, and schedule within cost requirements.
- Participate in identification, evaluation, and selection of vendors for equipment purchases.
- Oversee the continuous improvement and optimization of the manufacturing processes, with a focus on a preventative maintenance / reliability based structure, downtime minimization, and system efficiencies.
- Identify, design and implement reliability improvements focused on increased equipment availability and reduced life cycle cost. Collaborate with production departments on resolution of issues concerning facilities and equipment.
- Liaison with Maintenance Team to design and layout plant preventative maintenance and repair work.
- Evaluates and mitigates the environmental impact of the facilities.
- Develop Associates both direct and indirect reports, through mentorship, collaboration, and being an example.
- Lead in the development, execution and review of the capital plan through all facilities.
- Lead the facilities through the capital project (Stage-Gate) process.
5. Additional Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local codes.
- Provide liaison on project, facilities and equipment with regulatory agencies.
- Participate in professional organizations to maintain current knowledge of technical innovations.
- Bachelors Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Degree in a related Engineering discipline required.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of related engineering experience required.
- Must have experience working with food processing facility and design Knowledge of USDA, FDA, OSHA and environmental regulations, codes, and standards.
- Highly skilled in troubleshooting, diagnosing problems and recommending improvements.
- Strong planning and prioritization skills, innovation, multi-tasking, goal setting, analytical skills, adaptable, continuously looking to raise the bar for progress.
- Ability to understand, influence, drive, and negotiate with internal and external customers.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Advanced PC skills including Windows, Microsoft Office Suite and Engineering and design software.
- Advanced knowledge in mathematical concepts such as fractions, ratios, value analysis, thermodynamics, to resolve engineering designs and problems.
- Project management certification and/or Professional Engineering license required.
Bachelors Degree or better in Engineering – Plant.
Masters Degree or better in Engineering – Plant.