1ST, 1st shift 5a-2:05p
Realize your ambition. Say cheese!
You will set-up, operate, and monitor packaging machines and string cheese loading equipment. Change packaging film, code daters, case labelers and metal detectors. Provide maintenance to the packaging machines as necessary to maintain efficient operations within the packaging department.
Your Passion. Our Culture.
At Sargento, you work for a company you believe in, with a family of people who believe in you. Our culture stems from a simple premise: Hire good people and treat them like family. At Sargento, you can make decisions based on how they affect people as well as the long-term health of our company. You will be encouraged to make a meaningful difference in the community, in the company and in your career. With diverse experiences and tools to learn and develop, you can transform your aspirations into reality. If you’re ready for the right place to belong and grow your career, you can find it here.
What You Do.
- Comply with the Current Good Manufacturing Practices Guidelines (cGMP).
- Properly use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required.
- Change and adjust roll stock on all thermoformer and overwrap machines.
- Read and correctly interpret packaging line schedules and ensure correct packaging supplies are staged and applied to respective packaging lines at all times.
- Retrieve packaging supplies and return excess packaging supplies to correct storage areas.
- Set-up and simultaneously operate multiple packaging, code dating, case labeling and sealing machines, and adjust controls and settings to regulate machine performance and operations.
- Constantly monitor packaging equipment, graphics positioning, and code dating. Strive to continually optimize packaging line efficiency and package integrity.
- Move empty pallets and pallets of finished product using forklifts and pallet-jacks.
- Reassemble packaging machines/lines after clean-up or completion of repair or maintenance work. Prep lines for cleaning.
- Start machines and observe mechanical, electrical, and pneumatic operation to determine efficiency and to detect problems.
- Routinely inspect and test packages for packaging integrity. Document findings. Complete QA packaging improvement requests and document changes.
- Set-up and changeover inkjet code daters and case labeling systems. Check and replenish inkjet fluid levels. Monitor and replace code dating ribbons and labels as needed.
- Periodically inspect and clean seal heads; preheat plates, seal jaws, and hole punches to maintain excellent package integrity.
- Perform cross-cut and final-cut knife inspections and replace as needed.
- Minimize packaging material waste during equipment operation and film changeovers.
- Record production and machine setting information on all control sheets (including roll stock numbers and code dates).
- Inspect or test damaged machine parts, and mark defective areas or advise supervisors of repair needs.
- Lubricate or apply adhesives or other materials to machines, machine parts, or other equipment, according to specified procedures.
- Install, replace, or change machine parts and attachments, according to production specifications.
- Dismantle machines and remove parts for repair, using hand tools, chain falls, jacks, cranes, or hoists.
- Record production, repair, and machine maintenance information on all control sheets (including roll stock numbers and codes dates).
- Read work orders and specifications to determine machines and equipment requiring repair or maintenance.
- Set-up and operate machines, and adjust controls to regulate operations.
- Collaborate and work with others, to repair or move machines, machine parts, or equipment. Suggest ways to best optimize changes with minimal downtime.
- Work in harmony and communicate effectively with all staff and supervisors in the entire packaging area.
- General housekeeping duties in the packaging department (including cleaning machines, auxiliary equipment, floors, and removing garbage), and film storage and warehouse areas.
- Maintain organization of packaging supplies and parts as necessary. Retrieve and return packaging supplies to their proper storage locations.
- Track any surplus of labeled boxes or other packaging supplies and ensure that they are not utilized with the wrong product.
- Inspect retention samples as scheduled, recording a description of the product and any quality concerns, and then discard the samples.
- Record finished pallets and proper code dates on control sheets.
- Keep floors clear of debris, such as cheese, pallet fragments, and packaging materials, etc.
- Periodically and temporarily assist the Packaging Workers with the following duties:
- Inspect packages of finished product and notify the Manager of Packaging Processes of: foreign debris, bad seals, quality of product, quality of packaging materials, correct and legible code dates, correct packaging, and proper perforation.
- Communicate pertinent work concerns to co-workers, especially when changing shifts.
- Other duties as assigned, including assisting other Packaging Line Maintenance Technicians on occasion with weekend PMs and cleaning.
Your Education and Experience.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED/HSED) required or minimally enrolled with anticipated completion in 12 months or less.
- Technical college education in a related field preferred.
- Previous maintenance and/or food industry experience is preferred.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Lifting up 75 lbs. occasionally.
Sargento is a refrigerated food production facility and the ability to work in a cold environment is a necessity. Machinery, moving mechanical parts, and robotics are used during production, so the work environment is usually loud. During sanitation work, you may be exposed to wet, humid, damp conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
With 2,000 employees and net sales of $1.5 billion, Sargento Foods is a family-owned company that has been a leader in cheese for more than 60 years. We created the world’s first, successful pre-packaged sliced and shredded natural cheeses. Sargento is based in Plymouth, Wisconsin, where we manufacture and market shredded, sliced and snack natural cheese products, as well as ingredients and sauces. Sargento is known for the exceptional quality of our products and for product design, packaging and merchandising innovations that have transformed our industry.
To learn more about our culture and values, please visit our website at https://careers.sargento.com/us/en