Salary – $336,000.00 – $358,000.00 Annually
Location – 459 E First Street Fond du Lac
Job Type – Full Time
In collaboration with the Administrative Team, develops, implements and evaluates the medical practice delivery model in accordance with the goals of the Acute Psychiatric Hospital and regulatory standards. The Medical Director shares in the administrative functions directly impacting medical services and collaborates with the management team in overall planning. The Medical Director provides clinical treatment to inpatient and outpatient clients of the Department of Community Programs and ensures delivery of quality services to all consumers.Examples of Duties
The following responsibilities comprise the principle functions of this job and shall not be considered a detailed description of all the work that may be required in this job:
- Directs and oversees the provision of psychiatric services and treatment in the Department of Community Programs including all medical and psychiatric care and treatment for hospitalized patients on the Acute Unit.
- Examines, diagnoses, treats and evaluates patients of mental health and substance use treatment programs. Reviews treatment programs for adults suffering emotional disorders or alcohol and other drug abuse problems.
- Provides continuing psychiatric care of patients and makes appropriate dispositional recommendations.
- Monitors the medical condition of patients by providing treatment and/or referrals as appropriate.
- Ensures development and documentation of comprehensive multidisciplinary treatment plans based on individualized patient needs.
- Provides Court related clinical duties such as: assessments, expert testimony, reports and meetings.
- Responsible for entering into Collaborative Agreements with all Advance Practice Nurse Prescribers. Includes assisting with Court testimony and medication orders as needed for Chapter 51 Commitment Hearings.
- Appointed by the Governing Body to direct and oversee all Medical Staff in accordance with 42 CFR 482.22 and is responsible to ensure Medical Staff and Allied Health Professionals adhere to compliance with Medical Staff Bylaws at all times.
- Provides clinical supervision and review of services rendered by other Medial Staff and non-physicians involved in direct care and treatment of the county’s mental health patients on the Acute Unit.
- Responsible for Substance Use Service Multidisciplinary team staffing and Treatment Plan reviews.
- Responsible for providing oversight to the CCS Program including prescription coverage for admission into the program and billing claims.
- Responsible for providing oversight to the In-home Therapy Program or assigning a designee to include prescriptions for admission into the program and billing claims.
- Assures that Medical Staff comply with current rules, regulations and guidelines concerning services of the facility and licensures of the facility.
- Reviews practitioner credentials.
- Responsible to review and revise Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations to ensure that the Medical Staff Committee members are adhering to the professional conduct, medical staff appointment and reappointment, privileges and other processes and expectations outlined within at all times.
- Provides leadership for the intensive treatment program and services that includes: admission interviews, assessments and evaluations, psychiatric and medical work-ups, treatment team leadership, medication management, on-call provision of emergency psychiatric and medical treatment, provision of individual, group and family therapies, provision of clinical supervision to other professionals and para-professionals, provision of medical and psychiatric educational workshops and conferences to all staff and provision of consultation to staff for clinical and/or administrative matters.
- Ensures provision of active treatment including alternative interventions including evenings and weekends.
- Ensures provision of therapeutic groups as scheduled with assigned patients in attendance or alternative treatment provided.
- Conducts employee performance evaluations and contracted medical service evaluations and provides feedback to improve performance.
- Assists in the development and implementation of comprehensive mental health programs in the community working with department staff, contract agencies and independent agencies.
- May attend Governing Body meetings as required; provides consultative expertise to the Board to provide an understanding of clinical aspects of current programs.
- Ensures that quality assurance programs are in place to monitor all areas of patient care and will implement education programs as indicated for all levels of staff.
- Participates in staff meetings concerning infection control, QAPI, pharmaceutical services, resident care policies and others requiring the involvement of medical professionals.
- Oversees and helps develop and implement policies and practices which will improve client care.
- Maintains responsibility for safe client care through the use of appropriate planning, implementation and evaluation procedures.
- Maintains documentation in accordance with departmental and Medical Staff Bylaw approved standards.
- Complies with all safety and quality assurance standards.
- Maintains the confidential nature of client and business information at all times.
- Demonstrates awareness of departmental objectives and priorities and complies with all applicable departmental and Center policies and procedure.
- Participates in the recruitment and selection process for medical providers.
- Acts as a liaison between Administration and attending practitioners.
- Reviews patient/client medical record for the understanding of individualized needs and auditing of compliance to regulatory standards.
- Directs and/or participates in the functioning of various committees required to meet professional and regulatory standards of the clinical services division.
- Responsible for conducting peer reviews with insurance providers.
- Responsible for conducting quarterly peer reviews of charts.
- Responsible for reviewing and signing off on all inpatient treatment plans.
- Interfaces with families for consent and support of psychopharmacological interventions as necessary.
- Assists with Outpatient services as required.
- On-call for the Crisis Line and Acute Unit as scheduled. Weekend rounds on the Acute Unit (Saturday and Sunday) of the week on-call. Schedules or provides coverage in event of unforeseen provider absence.
- DUTY HOURS-OUTSIDE CONSULTATION: Employee shall devote all of their time, attention and skills solely to the business of the Department during the hours they are employed by the Department. Notwithstanding the preceding, they may act as a consultant or as an advisor or practitioner on a fee-for-service basis in other settings so long as they confine their practice to those non-duty hours.
- Performs additional job-related duties, as necessary, within scope of responsibility.
Graduation from an accredited medical school and completion of an approved four-year residency in psychiatry. Possession of an unrestricted license or eligibility to receive an unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Wisconsin. Two years’ experience as a psychiatrist specializing in mental health service programs in a hospital, clinic or institution. Possession of or eligibility to receive a Drug Enforcement Agency License.
This position description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.
Please see the attached link for more information on our benefits.