Fond du Lac
WE ARE LEADERS. WE ARE INNOVATORS.
WE ARE WABASH.
Wabash is more than a place to work. It is a place to contribute your talents, taking pride in being part of a team that is changing how the world reaches you. Each employee is a valued team member, empowered to carry forward the legacy of innovation that jumpstarted the company over 35 years ago.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are passionate about making a difference and being part of a team that is shaping the future, take a closer look at Wabash. We look for strong, stand-out recruits with the desire to elevate our organization and make it the best it can be — for our employees, our customers and our community.
Performs various skilled tasks necessary to metal finish component parts, transportation tanks and bottles during the production process. Responsible for examining surface areas and welds to detect defects. The work requires associates to work within a confined space for periods of 4-8 hours. This position requires care and constant attention to shop activities to avoid injury to self or others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prior to beginning work, inspects equipment to assure that it is in safe operating condition and that any required preventative maintenance checks have been completed.
- Examines all surface areas and welds to detect defects.
- Ability to work in confined space.
- Sets up, adjusts and operates equipment in a safe, efficient and accurate manner to produce required parts.
- Flaps and blends weld burns on the exterior and interior of tanks using electrical and pneumatic shop tools.
- Buffs outside heads and grinds manhole covers and outlet pods using electrical and pneumatic shop tools.
- Grinds welds, deburrs rough metal, and produces various finishes on metal
- Stone grinds, peens, belts, flaps, and blends seams on the inside of the bottle using pneumatic shop tools
- Completes assigned duties in accordance with safety policies and practices. This includes regard to individual safety, the safety of other team members, and the safe use of equipment and safeguards in the workplace
- Wears approved personal protective equipment such as safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses with side shields, hearing protection, respirators, etc.
- Performs additional work as assigned by the Supervisor or Team leader. This may require the employee to flex into another department
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An employee in this position works in an environment in which safety, environmental and health concerns may demand constant attention. Strict adherence to Corporate and/or Plant policies, rules, and regulations in these areas is required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Ability to apply grinding techniques to a variety of parts using electrical and pneumatic shop tools
- Knowledge and practical experience with general shop rules, practices, and safety precautions
- Ability and willingness to cooperate with co-workers and work as part of a production team
- Prior experience in a manufacturing facility and specifically in metal finishing preferred
Skills and/or Experience:
- Verbal Communication
- Physical dexterity
- Ability to read and understand a tape measure
- Proficient with basic shop math
- Conceptual Skills
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints preferred
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, bend, kneel, stoop, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee frequently lifts and/or moves objects up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.