Fond du Lac
Job Type – Full-time
Job Summary: Acts as the primary underwriter of residential and retail lending applications. Evaluates loans to maximize organizational profit and to minimize risk or loss, ensure excellent customer service is provided and all standard underwriting guidelines are met.
1. Underwrite residential loans (Conventional, FHA, VA, USDA, SCSHA) and consumer loans while ensuring compliance with appropriate company and secondary market investor standards as well as compliance with lending regulations up to the loan amount authority established.
2. Obtains, prepares and reviews documents for origination and processing phases of residential loans.
3. Analyzes tax returns, financial statements and review of title commitments.
4. Reviews and analyzes real estate appraisals for acceptance in connection with residential loan transactions.
5. Render underwriting decisions and subsequent clearing conditions to ensure credit and investor guidelines are met.
6. Proactively communicate the decisions to the loan originators and loan processors with an explanation behind credit decisions, as needed.
7. Coordinates the approval of underwriting conditions; performs review and approval of the file prior to closing.
8. Exercised independent judgement allowing for minimal supervision of work functions while working directly with mortgage and consumer loan originators.
9. Respond to investor repurchase and quality review requests.
10. Regularly reviews the data associated with areas of responsibility to identify trends and patterns for improvement.
11. Stays informed of business trends to be well informed when providing counsel to customers.
12. Maintains knowledge of bank loan programs, as well as secondary market investors’ underwriting/documentation requirements.
13. Researches market rate data, makes recommendations on rates, and communicates rates to staff daily.
14. Communicates responsibly, professionally and frequently.
15. Stays current on all relevant regulatory requirements and changes.
16. Initiates policies as directed by management.
17. Preparing reports on policy exceptions and others as directed by management.
18. Acts as the lead for the mortgage and consumer loan originators by providing training and guidance
19. Provides information and assistance to loan applicants and interacts with CPA’s, financial advisors and other parties to the transaction when necessary.
20. Ensures that confidentiality is maintained at all times.
21. Conducts oneself in accord with the Bank’s Core Values.
22. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The job duties listed are in no way all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary. This position requires regulatory compliance.
- Excellent customer relations demeanor; professional in appearance and communication
- Knowledge of underwriting guidelines, federal and state lending laws, and portfolio residential lending.
- High School diploma or equivalency
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Mortgage Underwriter
- 3 or more years of underwriting experience, preferred
- Display a professional, positive, team-oriented attitude
- Proven communication and customer relations skills, both oral and written
- Data Analysis skills – analyze financial statements, complex tax returns and interpret findings
- Critical thinking, problem solving and creativity
- Organizational skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Word processing, spreadsheet and typing skills sufficient to produce spreadsheets with basic formulas and business form letters and memos.
- Ability to learn and utilize a variety of required software applications
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to view computer screen and paperwork
FVSBank is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.