The Personal Trainer will provide guidance and leadership to all members and community participants seeking assistance with personalized fitness programming. The Personal Trainer will develop and monitor specialized fitness programs, including cardiovascular exercise, strength training and flexibility.
- Be comfortable working to implement the Mission Statement of the YMCA.
The Fond du Lac Family YMCA is a non-profit charitable association dedicated to putting Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
- Act as a positive role model using the YMCA’s core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility
- Provide Personal Training sessions and cultivate a base of Personal Training Clientele
- Participate as an active staff member to ensure a strong staff team is being developed and is serving the needs of the members
- Conduct all initial Personal Training sessions with the client completing a Par-Q form, ask pertinent questions relating to their health history and previous injuries refer the client back to their primary care physician with any questionable issues that surface and obtain physician clearance to continue
- Assist clientele in setting achievable goals and objectives and provide positive motivation and support
- Responsible from reviewing the Emergency Action Plan and being aware on how to implement all safety precautions and emergency procedures when necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Prefer trainers to be certified through ACE, NASM, ACSM, or NSCA or a degree in kinesiology or bachelor’s degree in a field of exercise science
- Must be able to easily move through all program areas and effectively communicate and actively interact with customers.
- Must be able to lift and carry (5 – 50 pounds)
- Must be able to perform physical functions necessary to program instruction, including but not limited to squatting, bending, kneeling, spotting program participants and demonstrating the use of program apparatus or program skills.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to conduct classes and activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.