Fond du Lac
Consult with dedicated Grande Producer Dairies in the areas of milk quality, productivity, and animal well-being. Deliver services and assist in managing the Grande MMAP (Milk Management Assistance Program) and the Grande PACE (Producers Assuring Consumers of Excellence) program working in collaboration with the Milk Marketing Producer Services Team.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
1. Milk Quality – Deliver Grande MMAP services to Grande Producer Dairies – Supporting Enterprise Trademark Excellence by providing on-farm technical expertise ensuring exceptional milk quality and sustainability.
a. Provide on-farm milk quality consultation – Serving as an independent technical resource to Grande Producer Dairies. Provide direction and prioritization for producer dairies.
i. Evaluate mastitis control and milking systems.
ii. Evaluate milking procedures, techniques, and parlor efficiencies.
iii. Analyze necessary records (DHIA, DC305) to allow proper herd diagnosis and analysis.
iv. Utilize scientific methods to evaluate hypothesis and interpret bacteriological, bulk tank, and individual cow culture results.
b. Key contributing subject matter expert in Dairy Herd Health & Wellness.
i. Work closely with Grande Producer Services Associates to define milk quality and animal care issues and work with Grande producer dairies to develop solutions.
ii. Develop strong peer relationships with, but not limited to veterinarians, pharmaceutical suppliers, dairy equipment suppliers, and regulatory authorities.
iii. Work with Grande Producer Dairies veterinarian of record to evaluate herd health protocols, criteria for purchase of animals, risk management for emerging and re-emerging dairy animal diseases. Assess antimicrobial stewardship and drug residue prevention practices.
iv. Assess herd housing areas and farm facilities for future design modifications to maximize herd health, animal welfare, milk production, and milk quality.
v. Provide educational training to Grande Associates and Grande Producer Dairies in the areas of milk quality, productivity, and animal well-being.
c. Bring dairy industry innovation and performance improvement practices necessary to maintain trademark excellence to Grande Producer Dairies by developing and maintaining a broad professional network and active involvement with dairy industry organizations. Connect Grande Milk Marketing goals and projects with external opportunities. Consult and advise state and national dairy industry organizations, including providing presentations as required.
2. Sustainability – Support long-term improvement of Grande PACE program including delivery to, and demonstrated improvement of, Grande Producer Dairies – Supporting Enterprise Trademark Excellence by providing on-farm technical expertise ensuring value to the Grande brand in areas of Business and Environmental Sustainability, Associate Care, and Community Involvement.
a. Manage development, implementation and compliance of PACE evaluations.
b. Develop and participate in the external relationships involving PACE compliance of Grande dairies in the areas of animal welfare, workforce development, and environmental sustainability.
c. Develop proactive strategies for the Producer Services Team to assist Grande Producer Dairies to exceed program requirements in all areas of milk safety and animal care practices.
d. Work with bilingual trainers to deliver on-farm training programs supporting PACE.
e. Establish appropriate benchmarks demonstrating producer advancements, supporting Grandes overall CSR objective(s)
3. Additional Expectations
a. Demonstrate team leadership through Associate development, active coaching, and project management.
b. Interest in the terminologies such as continuous improvement and waste reduction and how lean concepts can be applied in the dairy production system.
c. Involvement with Grande Corporate Communications supporting Social responsibility messaging related to Grade Producer Dairies production practices.
d. Participate as needed in other management activities which may include leadership meetings, Executive strategic planning meetings, special critical project and other requests.
e. General understanding of brand equity and risks, and what the role must deliver to protect both.
f. Strong understanding of raw ingredient supply chain processes, particularly related to dairy.
g. Experience and demonstrated success in dairy producer “business to business” practices. Demonstrated exceptional dairy producer service skills and results.
h. Travel as required.
The above list reflects the general details necessary to describe the principle and essential functions of the position and shall not be construed as the only duties that maybe assigned.
Licenses & Certifications
• Current license to practice veterinary medicine in the State of Wisconsin
• FARM AC evaluator certification (not required, but must be able to receive)
• FARM ES evaluator certification (not required, but must be able to receive)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Strong coaching, training and project management skills.
• High level of proficiency in computer skills including but not limited to M.S. Office products
• Proficient in English with excellent written and oral communication skills. Spanish communication skills a plus.
• Effectively develops communications (graphically, written and verbal skills).
• Working knowledge of Wisconsin Department of Agriculture Grade “A” standards and good manufacturing practices
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
• Thorough knowledge of all laboratory testing involving milk
• Ability to work independently or with a team as required.
• A mobile phone is required for this position.
• Access to the internet is required for this position.
Doctorate Degree or better in Veterinary Medicine.
• Two (2) or more years’ experience in the food animal veterinary field working primarily with dairy, as well as the safety and purity of milk production.
Licenses & Certifications