The production utility person fills an important role by flexing between web press and finishing departments to meet production workflow needs as directed.
- Production Responsibilities:Common responsibilities:
- Follow all required safety procedures such as: PPE’s, Ergonomics, Chemical Hazards, etc. Perform job in a manner that protects the health and safety of all employees.
- Be in production task position, ready to work, five minutes prior to shift start for red zone communication.
- Use, maintain, and support Lean activities such as 5S, TPM tasks and MDI.
- Follow standard work documents and assist with creating new or modifying existing standard work documents.
- Perform all the duties of Bindery Inspector level 2
- Qualified to perform at least three of the following:
- Complex set up of pockets on at least one of the binders
- Setup and operation of small machines; (i.e. Lawson drill, 3-knife trimmer, etc.)
- Run a binder that is already setup
- Setup and operate the single knife
- Setup and operate the rotary trimmer
- Setup and operate the envelope inserter
- Setup and operate the spiral binder and punch
- Setup and operate inline drills
- Set up and operate Zebra printer
- Web Press:
- Watch for smearing, register, bad folds, etc. Report problems to crew leader.
- Has a working knowledge of both local and remote scales and how to set them up.
- Has a working knowledge of the counter stackers, bundler and strapper.
- Moves skids away from the press.
- Assists pressmen with prepping stock.
- Other press duties as directed by the crew leader.
- Administrative Responsibilities:
- Accurately enter job data into system and complete jobs as required for billing and customer purposes.
- Create accurate skid flags for counts and destination.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Must be able to use hands for a variety of repetitive material handling tasks about 90% of an 8-hour shift. Constantly
- Must be able to constantly stand for up to 8 hours.
- Lifting between eight and 50 pounds from waist level and carry at waist level up to four feet on a frequent basis
- Lifting between eight and 50 pounds from waist level and carry at waist level up to four feet and lift above shoulder height and place it on a stack on an occasional basis
- Pick up, grasp and turn/rotate 4 to 8 pound handfuls of product on a constant basis
- Kneel and squat to do work on an occasional basis
- High School Diploma
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to use hands for a variety of repetitive material handling tasks about 90% of an eight hour shift.
- Must be able to regularly lift & move materials weighing between five & 50 lbs; occasionally 75 lbs.
- Demonstrates a conscious concern for quality while achieving high production in a safe manner.
- Ability to follow detailed directions and function in a teamwork environment.
- Maintain a positive attitude and willingness to learn new tasks.