Salary – $17.29 – $20.67 Hourly
Location – 160 S Macy Street Fond du Lac, WI
Job Type – Full Time
Department – District Attorney’s Office
Under the general supervision of the Victim/Witness Coordinator, District Attorney, Deputy District Attorney and Assistant District Attorneys, performs secretarial duties for the Victim/Witness Services. Type correspondence, reports, restitution forms, dispositions, and inputs data into the computer system. Helps ensure witness appearances and cancellations for hearings. Maintains filing system and tickler file of witnesses.Examples of Duties
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Prepares and forwards Victim Impact Statements, Restitution Information, and notification forms to victims of juvenile crimes.
- Answers and screens telephone calls including answering victim and witness related questions at public counter.
- Coordinates phone conference calls or in-person meetings with assigned prosecutor to address victim concerns or questions.
- Accompanies victim(s) to court hearings if requested by the victim(s).
- Contacts and cancels witnesses as needed for upcoming hearings.
- Prepares subpoenas for personal service with local sheriff’s office, out-of-county sheriff’s offices, out-of-state sheriff’s offices, and civil process agencies.
- Maintains victim and restitution information in associated case file.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with victims, witnesses, law enforcement agencies, courts, community agencies, and the general public.
- Facilitates providing the court with information pertaining to the economic, physical and psychological effect of crimes upon victims.
- Provide referral services to crime victims including financial, counseling, mental health, medical, shelter, food, and other social services.
- Provides prompt and timely notice of cancelations to all victims, witnesses, and officers concerning court appearances and notifies victims and witnesses of case status.
- Compiles restitution documents, including estimates, medical bills, insurance documents etc. submitted by victims. Prepares restitution/sentencing worksheet to be submitted with supporting documents to the prosecuting attorney, the courts and defense attorneys. Works collaboratively, with victims to determine accurate restitution to assure victims receive compensation for their losses. Inform victims of court-ordered restitution.
- Provides information to crime victims for submitting Victim Compensation applications with the Wisconsin Department of Justice, Office of Crime Victim Services.
- Participates in and assists in organizing community display for Crime Victim’s Rights Week.
- Assists in plan and design of brochures, pamphlets and forms.
- Assumes responsibilities for victims and witnesses in the absence of Victim Witness Coordinator.
- Schedules, attends, and records forensic interviews in the absence of the Victim Witness Coordinator.
- Participates in ongoing training, classes, courses, etc., regarding changing laws, developments in services and specialties.
- Completes required training to obtain and maintain Victim/Witness Service credentials with continued education provided by Office for Victims of Crime.
- Uses creativity and resourcefulness in investigating and solving problems.
Desirable Knowledge and Abilities:
Basic knowledge of the criminal justice system. Considerable knowledge of business English, correspondence formats, and modern office practices, procedures and equipment. Ability to type proficiently and operate computer (word processing and data base). Ability to work under pressure and interact effectively with victims, witnesses, and the general public.
Training and Experience:
High school graduation and 1-2 years of secretarial experience.
NOTE: Prior court knowledge is desirable.
NOTE: Prior legal secretarial experience is desirable.
In evaluating candidates for this position, the County may consider a combination of education, training, and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position.
Please see the attached link for more information on our benefits.