Fond du Lac
Enjoying physical labour and working outdoors as well as being safety-minded are vital to a career in rail operations at CN. If you like being part of a team and working in different locations every day, a rewarding career in track maintenance will appeal to you. Working on a crew, you’ll be part of an ever-changing, safety-first work environment that ensures our infrastructure is safe, sound and train-ready. At CN, the careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Rail Track Maintainer is responsible for inspecting, repairing and replacing rails, ties, switches and ballasts. The role performs outdoors in various types of weather and environmental conditions and ensures a safe working environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on location and circumstances:
- Remove and replace defective ties, rails spikes and anchors.
- Prepare, use and maintain various common and specialized hand tools for assigned work.
- Correct deviations in track surface, alignment and gauge.
- Install and repair street crossings and railroad crossings.
- Assist in the replacement or repair of items such as power-operated switches and insulated joints.
- Unload or assist in unloading ballasts, as well as unload and distribute track material.
- Sort used track material for loading (may load by hand).
- Clear brush, vegetation, snow and litter from railroad right-of-way.
- Establish and maintain drainage.
- Clean up after work completion.
- Understand and comply with track safety standards, Operating Rules and Safe work procedures.
- Shift work, with occasional overtime when necessary
- Long periods of travel required, including overnight
- Primarily performed outdoors in various types of weather and environmental conditions
- Repetitive physical activity
- Physical: lift and carry up to 50 pounds frequently, and up to 70 pounds occasionally
- Relevant work experience in similar working conditions or regulatory and safety environment
- Experience operating heavy equipment and machinery
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position, including requirements for Safety
- Ability to work autonomously, adapt to different situations and manage stress
- Demonstrate good teamwork and maintain positive interactions with others
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety, productivity and client satisfaction
- Displays common sense and good judgment
- Hand-eye coordination
- Grasping skills
- Welding skills*
- Knowledge of signals or Railroad Operating Rules*
- *Any knowledge for these above would be considered as an asset
The incumbent receives four (4) weeks classroom training at 40 hours per week at the CN Campus in Homewood, IL. The training is primarily on health and safety rules and basic machine operator procedures. Successful completion of the classroom training is mandatory in order to work as a Rail Track Maintainer.
This position is a unionized position. As such, pay and benefits are governed by the applicable collective agreement.
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.