Fond du Lac
Grande Cheese Company is a family owned enterprise built on a tradition, quality and outstanding performance. We are dedicated to our cultural pride, professional excellence and to the dignity and respect of our Associates. Responsible for participating in activities that define and perpetuate Trademark Excellence. Develops and applies sensory science and product knowledge, and integrates in new product, improvement, and quality programs and projects to assure Trademark Excellence.
1. Trademark Excellence Integration and Research Activities Performs semi-complex work utilizing established methods and techniques; follows procedures within framework of applied technology.
- Authority within established precedents or well defined policy with regular managerial direction and review.
- Calibrates in accordance with Chief Flavor Architect and Director of Trademark Excellence on product standards, peak performance and ideal cheese criteria for flavor, texture, functionality for all cheeses.
- Trademark Excellence Integration and Research Activities. Performs and manages projects and activities under limited supervision for the Trademark Excellence Group. This includes sensory evaluation for Quality Assurance programs, product surveys, and sensory verification of improvement research projects.
- Trademark Excellence scientists also participate in exploratory new product research and projects to define cheese product identity and performance standards.
- Actively participates on Grande project teams, including sensory panels, new product development and product improvement; may lead projects of appropriate scope.
- Accountable for on-time delivery of Trademark Excellence projects or support for other functional groups.
- Maintains and ensures the scientific quality of project data; ensures that proper scientific protocols are used.
- Ensures project and portfolio management processes are used and documented.
- Assist Technical Service, Quality Assurance and other groups when necessary.
- Analyzes and interprets scientific data; makes conclusions and recommendations that are scientifically sound.
- Responsibility for Assets and Quality.
- Some responsibility for product quality, but minimal responsibility for customer relations and equipment.
- Makes product disposition decisions based on sensory evaluation for selected cheeses and programs. Internal contact with other departments on technical and quality issues.
2. Communication and Scientific Leadership Effectively communicates (written and oral) to appropriate departments and external partners.
- Develops key relationships with internal and external partners.
- Works closely with the Technology Group and other departments as a scientific resource.
- Writes scientific reports and project updates; able to effectively communicate scientific results to varied audiences.
- Maintains scientific core competencies in cheese technology, microbiology, and analytical chemistry.
- Maintains a sound scientific knowledge base and capability.
- Attends key scientific meetings; develops external scientific contacts.
- Keeps abreast of current scientific literature and patents; communicates relevant scientific information to other groups.
3. Strategy Development Supports key departmental initiatives for Trademark Excellence.
Actively participates in developing and implementing Technology Group management goals.
Bachelors Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
Degree in Food Science or other related field required.
Bachelor’s degree and two (2) or more years’ experience in dairy product research and sensory science or evaluation; or Master’s degree, with internship or other experience in dairy product research and sensory science or evaluation preferred.
Requires specialized sensory evaluation capability Broad-base scientific skills and knowledge (microbiology, chemistry, statistics, biology, sensory science, food science, dairy science, biochemistry) Statistical methodologies for data analysis Effective writing, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills Ability to communicate technical information in oral and written form Good computer skills in MS Office Suite
Bachelors Degree or better in Food Science or related field.
Masters Degree or better in Food Science or related field.
2 years: Two (2) or more years’ experience in dairy product research and sensory science or evaluation.
Requires specialized sensory evaluation capability
2 years: Master’s degree, with internship or other experience in dairy product research and sensory science or evaluation preferred.