About the Job:
The Technical Sales Manager is responsible to support sales activities and manage multiple projects through their entire sales cycle from initial equipment design and selection, pilot studies, budget proposals, drawing generation, specification writing, and firm price bid estimates. Is focused during different phases of the sales process including customer requirement analysis, feature/benefits presentation, benchmarks, competitive positioning, and implementation/execution.
- Lead, develop, and motivate the Sales Engineering team.
- Ensure the organization is staffed and managed appropriately to effectively execute work and meet project schedules; identifying required skills, skill gaps, and required training, recruiting, onboarding, performance management, and overall employee experience.
- Prepare detailed product specifications and lead specification reviews for the development and implementation of customer products, applications and/or solutions.
- Review and validate project scope requirements including risks and alternate solutions, RFQ and contract specifications and materials, quotes, and estimates.
- Work directly with cross-functional teams from Sales, Production, Engineering, and Supply Chain to plan, direct, and coordinate activities of designated projects to ensure that goals or objectives of projects meet customer needs and expectations and are accomplished within prescribed time frame and within set budget parameters.
- Develop clear and concise documentation to include but not limited to; proposals, letters, work orders, presentations, time studies and value selling tools.
- Build and develop customer relationships before and after the project, traveling to customer facilities to understand customer requirements and gather critical information to develop a comprehensive customer proposal.
- Interface with sales, engineering, purchasing, contract administration, accounting, and operations to provide accurate and professional responses, proposals, quotes and estimates to our customers.
- Translate routine customer drawings and specifications into equipment that meet customer and business needs.
- Review sales quotes for accuracy.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and 3-5 years’ experience working with food processing, primary packaging, and secondary packaging equipment.
- Previous applications engineering experience.
- Previous quoting and proposal development experience.
- Solid experience in modern manufacturing systems, planning, and supporting software including ERP, MRP, analytical tools.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- In depth experience with design software, manufacturing software, project management software and applications such as Microsoft Excel, Project, and Power Point
- Ability to travel up to 25-30% of the time.
- Interpersonal effectiveness: deals effectively with differences of opinion; influences and draws ideas from others. Fosters an environment where others can freely contribute to, cooperate in, and coordinate tactical and strategic solutions. Facilitates positive morale.
- Customer focused and service oriented: committed to delivering high quality products on time to internal and external customers. Works closely with internal and external customers to define and document requirements, address technical concerns, and provide project status. Identifies and engages key customers at all levels of the organization.
- Communication skills: expresses ideas accurately and succinctly in oral and written forms. Effectively listens and assimilates, presents organized trains of thought, and assures timely information exchange. Provides timely feedback to/for other functional groups as needed to maintain optimal productivity and project completion.
- Leadership: sets an exemplary example through commitment, energy, and personal productivity. Exhibits individual and develops team enthusiasm, motivation, commitment, and productivity. Actions and communications support company goals, vision, and culture.
- Analytical and creative problem-solving abilities: analytic capacity and capability to identify issues and opportunities. Develops creative solutions when required to provide near term optimal results that maintain high quality and come with acceptable risk. Conceptualizes, negotiates, and implements improved methods, processes, and communications/reports.
- Organized and detail oriented: organizes information, functional area, and communications for maximum efficiency. Coaches and fosters same in others. Makes accurate detailed work plans for moderately complex systems/projects, may take a lead role in planning and executing tasks; able to work many complex tasks simultaneously; able to plan resource requirements for task completion.
- Self-directed: requires minimal supervision while multitasking in a fast paced and dynamic environment. Consistently follows through with assignments
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Marchant Schmidt is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please call 920-921-4760 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
We verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States.