Responsible for set-up and operation of machines in the Fabrication Department. Perform all quality-related work. Position requires that the associates keep a neat and clean work area, occasionally alternate shifts or work extended hours and perform other related duties as directed.
- Follow set-up inspection and quality control procedures using a variety of measuring instruments such as CMM, scales, micrometers, height gages, verniers and gages to set-up, operate and check work.
- Responsible for first article inspection assuring compliance with control parameters and specifications. Ability to certify set ups ensuring job will run safely and efficiently. Set up prototype and first run parts and complete set up instruction sheets.
- Responsible for making any adjustment to any machine to keep parts within acceptable tolerance. Ability to troubleshoot Maintenance problems on CNC & conventional equipment. In addition must have ability to perform maintenance tasks on equipment as described. Working knowledge and ability to operate the DNC system is also required.
- Ability to supervise others in absence of Area Leader.
- Make suggestions and changes to improve methods or procedures, feeds and speeds, new or alternate tooling, etc. Work with Engineering to assist on quotes & estimates/rates.
- Responsible for following all safety rules and reporting any safety violations to team leaders. (When able the individual will correct the safety violation immediately.)
- Insure timely flow of parts through the machining process by following set procedures and make suggestions for alternate responsibilities when application allows additional internal time.
- Provide training & guidance for other associates.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a set up reduction team to reduce set-ups. Set-up methods & improvements must be implemented and sustained.
Education and/or Experience and Certifications and Licenses
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) supplemented by course work in machining, basic CNC programming; or one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. (Two Year Technical Degree or Associates Preferred)
Skills and Abilities
Ability to work effectively with tools and equipment including, but not limited to, material handling equipment, hand tools, measuring equipment, CNC machines, CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine), manual machines, computers, CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing)/Programming and miscellaneous office equipment. Must have ability to program CNC machines and the ability to use the DNC system (Direct Numerical Control).
Ability to read and understand blueprint specifications. (Knowledge of GD & T)
Knowledge of basic programming functions, tooling and fixtures. Ability to establish and maintain effective working and public relations, advocating team concept and participative management style. Possess strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with diverse personalities and individuals at various levels within and outside the organization.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate regularly works near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.