Under general advising of Tutoring Services Specialist, this position will facilitate the learning of students by clarifying assignments and course content, modeling and supporting appropriate study strategies, and guiding students toward independence and self-direction in their course work for the 2023-24 academic year.
1. Complete tutor training requirements and apply acquired skills.
2. Establish and maintain ongoing contact with assigned students and arrange regular tutor sessions, including small group and one-on-one sessions.
3. Consult with course instructors as needed.
4. Help students to break down and simplify complex information taught in class.
5. Integrate effective study and learning strategies to promote independent learning.
6. Coach students in developing a systemic approach to studying that will serve them in many courses.
7. Maintain current and accurate records of tutoring activities and submit required communication and documentation to Tutoring Services Specialist in a timely manner.
8. Communicate with Tutoring Services Specialist to discuss additional needs or concerns of the students.
9. Maintain student confidentiality according to FERPA guidelines.
1. Associate’s degree or Technical Diploma in related subject area required.
2. Experience as a tutor or equivalent work experience in related subject area preferred.
3. Ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds as well as under-prepared and special needs students.
4. Organizational skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
5. Ability to provide assistance with study skills, test-taking strategies, note-taking skills, and time-management.
6. Ability to quickly develop and maintain a positive rapport with students, faculty and staff.
7. Understand student strategies to support auditory, visual, and kinesthetic learning styles.
8. Ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communication.
9. Ability to maintain records of student participation and outcomes for client reporting in WTCS grants.
10. Ability to maintain confidentiality and possess sensitivity to the needs of students.