|Position:||Vice President of Economic Development|
|Work schedule:||Standard office hours (8am-5pm), some occasional evenings possible|
|Travel expectation:||Local travel (Fond du Lac County)|
|Position summary:||As a member of the Executive Team, responsible for managing the economic development department of a fast-paced, nonprofit chamber of commerce and economic development organization.|
Envision Greater Fond du Lac, a combined chamber of commerce and economic development organization for Fond du Lac County, is seeking a Vice President of Economic Development to lead the organization’s economic development initiatives. Fond du Lac County is a rural market with a strong economic base in manufacturing, agriculture, and health care. With a population of 105,000, the Fond du Lac MSA has seen exponential wage growth, rebounded from covid pandemic, and is an attractive central geographical location for business and supply chain.
The ideal candidate must be an autonomous, results-oriented individual with demonstrated success delivering commercial investment and talent initiatives. They must possess skills to build and maintain coalitions within the city, region, and state, executing the strategic plan goals in conjunction with private investors, public partners, stakeholders and the team.
Requirements include bachelor’s degree in related field (business, economics) and seven plus years of demonstrated success in business attraction and retention. Certified Economic Developer (CEcD), Certified Chamber Executive (CCE) and/or Economic Development Finance Professional (EDFP) designation preferred. A proven track record in job development and management of office and personnel resources is essential. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience with a full range of benefits.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Competencies:
Economic Development Team Management
- Managing the Economic Development Team of four with expected future growth.
- Talent Led Economic Development: primary point of contact for economic development and assertively engages with site selectors, company executives, business owners, brokers, and public officials to encourage companies to expand or locate in the region.
- Business retention and expansion (BRE) program: supervise issue resolution efforts identified through the and collaborate with other entities to resolve these issues.
- Workforce Initiatives: oversee current programming and develop talent led initiatives for talent recruitment to Fond du Lac County.
- Entrepreneurial & Small Business Development Strategies: develop, advocate, and strengthen entrepreneurial ecosystem programming.
- Business Intelligence: oversee complex industry and market research to support business development projects and industry recruitment opportunities.
- Revolving Loan Fund: oversee credit analysis, conduct financial spreads and create project overviews.
Relationships and Networking
- Engage with regional partners – WEDC, WEDA, New North, NEWREP, ECWRPC, and other community agencies – on target industry prospects, initiatives, and programs.
- Engage with community partners to support local entrepreneurs, with resources, education, and business community culture.
- Engage with site selection consultants, prospects, local business owners, and key stakeholders and members.
- Participate in company visits, industry, and trade shows and conferences to build presence and relationships with site selectors, industry leaders, and company executives.
- Represent EGF to members, business leaders, elected officials, community leaders, and the public. Maintain and nurture relationships with EGF members and partner organizations. Maintain an active awareness and knowledge of broad community issues.
- Nurture and develop K12 and post-secondary relationships.
- Develop and implement strategies to support local businesses to improve the local economy.
- Create, enhance, and nurture relationships with senior executives of employers, with an emphasis on major and primary employers to address and resolve the issues that are raised by employers.
- Provide regular reports to the Board and other stakeholder groups on the programs and results of the economic development
- Develop, propose, and manage the annual budget and work plan for the economic development team.
- Serve as a member of the CEO’s Executive Team to discuss, advise, support company actions, policies, and strategies.
- Participate in community events to represent or promote EGF, the business community, and/or the community at-large.
- Relationship building and collaborative skills that cultivate strong partnerships
- Interpersonal skills and ability to interface with a wide variety of people from different industries and functional levels of an organization including executives, managers, elected officials and entrepreneurs
- Confident speaking publicly
- Analyze and evaluate financial reports, credit analysis
- Trustworthy and can maintain confidentiality
- Clear vision for talent led economic development
- Telling an effective story and case for investment in Fond du Lac County and EGF
- Create productive alliances across private, public and governmental sectors and leading public/private partnerships
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (business, economics)
- Four plus years of demonstrated success in talent led economic development
- Certified Economic Developer (CEcD), Certified Chamber Executive (CCE) and/or Economic Development Finance Professional (EDFP) designation preferred
- Completed IEDC coursework preferred
- A proven track record in management of office and personnel resources
Knowledge and Experience:
- Has articulated a clear vision for economic development and success in previous organizations in advancing results with outstanding outcomes in attracting jobs and capital investment.
- Marketing experience in developing an effective story and case for investment regarding a city/region, and success developing and executing the plan to achieve goals and objectives for economic expansion.
- Experience developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with state and local elected officials.
- Understanding the methodology of strategizing successful programs for economic development, government affairs, education, and community initiatives.
- The ideal candidate must continue to build, strengthen, and energize a high-performance staff that can successfully implement and manage current and future initiatives while providing a collaborative and empowering environment.
- Professional experience with public relations, media relations, and public speaking.
- Successful experience forging productive alliances across private, public, and governmental sectors and leading public/private partnerships.
- A high level of personal integrity and solid values reflected in both professional and personal encounters.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire others to achieve mutually beneficial relationships and partnerships while ensuring the highest performance standards.
- A skilled listener who can build and sustain open, objective, and mutually productive relationships and partnership.
- Bright and creative, a leader who can solicit and manage multiple, diverse, and conflicting points of view in order to create consensus and direction.
- Possess a disciplined thought process and a decisive manner, combined with a high degree of energy, engagement, and enthusiasm that can be communicated and instilled throughout the organization.
- Proven ability to execute a complex, multi-faceted plan, build and sustain momentum, persevere, and stay the course, and maintain active and on-going stakeholder engagement and communication.
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com