Non-exempt; Full time Summer
Protecting our policyholders’ dreams, passions, and livelihoods has a direct impact on the communities we serve. We work towards excellence, conduct ourselves with high integrity, and take our work seriously, but not ourselves. Small Details. Big Difference. Find out how you can make a difference with a career at Society.
Society Insurance is seeking a summer intern for summer 2023 to join our Worker’s Compensation Claims team in the geographic area of Fond du Lac. This position supports the Worker’s Compensation Claims department by developing technical knowledge of the department; executing job shadows; completing assigned projects.
About the Role
- Maintains WC databases’ accuracy by entering new and updated claims information, Tax ID numbers, referrals and mailing addresses; updating ISO Indexing databases.
- Produces and manages information by generating, copying, printing, transmitting, and distributing letters, forms, files, reports, EDI (Electronic Data Imaging) data and other pertinent documentation for claims files to and/or for appropriate contact.
- Initiates new claims by verifying coverages; entering information into homepage programs; distributing claims to appropriate staff member.
- Manages check payment process by posting manual drafts in homepage; voiding drafts; issuing stop payments, loss and expense checks.
- Develops knowledge of workers’ compensation system by reviewing Workers’ Compensation Handbook and attending claim investigations and workers’ compensation hearings.
- Reviews cost containment methods (utilization reviews, independent medical exams, and record reviews).
- Prepares various reports by researching, collecting, analyzing, and summarizing research and project data.
- Participates in a variety of functions in Marketing, Underwriting and Property/Auto/Liability departments by observing and/or assisting with claim investigation, department meetings, workers’ compensation hearings, mediation, agency visits, trade show attendance, assisting with setting up for events and seminars, etc.
- You are composed and enjoy working with ambiguity.
- You are customer focused and relate well to all kinds of people.
- You are patient and practice attentive and active listening.
- You set objectives and goals to reach deadlines.
- You are personally committed to continual improvement.
- You are a strong communicator.
What it Will Take
- Pursuing Bachelor’s Degree.
- 3.0 or better cumulative GPA on a 4-point scale.
- Full-time junior or senior collegiate status.
- Basic computer software knowledge (word processing, e-mail, accessing and updating databases).
- Experience with operating typical office machines (such as a copy machine, fax machine, computer).
- Valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record as determined by Society Insurance.
What Society Can Offer (Full-time Employment)
- Comprehensive Benefits Package: Salary with bonus plan; health, dental, life, and vision insurance
- Retirement: Traditional or Roth 401(k) Defined Contribution Plan PLUS Profit-Sharing Plan
- Work-Life Balance: Company-paid holidays; flexible scheduling; PTO; telecommuting options
- Education: Career Coaching; company-paid courses; student loan and tuition reimbursement
- Community: Charitable Match; paid volunteer time; team sponsorships
- Wellness: Employee Assistance Program; health club reimbursement; wellness reimbursement
Society Insurance prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type against applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, disability, genetics, veteran status or military service, marital status or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status protected by federal, state or local laws. Society Insurance also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws.
Society Insurance is a drug-free workplace. Any candidate who receives an offer of employment from Society will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug test for controlled substances. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the pre-employment drug test, which is conducted in accordance with Society’s substance abuse policy.