This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Provides positive, detail oriented refereeing for our youth sports programs.
- Be comfortable working to implement the Mission Statement of the YMCA. The Fond du Lac Family YMCA is a non-profit charitable association dedicated to putting Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
- Acts as a positive role model using the YMCA’s core values of honesty, caring, respect, and responsibility.
- Referees assigned sports program in accordance with YMCA standards, having prepared accordingly.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Maintains game/program records as required (i.e. scores, stats, etc.).
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community. Maintains positive relationships with participants and other staff. Models relationship building skills in all interactions.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Conveys information on sports programs and schedules.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Referees must have general knowledge of sports skills, rules and regulations in the assigned program.
- Prior Referee Experience preferred but not required
- Must be passionate about assigned sports program
- Previous experience working with children
- Must be able to move effectively through all program areas; perform physical functions necessary to program instruction, including but not limited to squatting, bending, kneeling, spotting program participants and demonstrating use of program apparatuses or program skills.
- Has a high level of independent judgement
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
SEND APPLICATIONS TO:
Fond du Lac Family YMCA
Attn: Human Resources
90 W. 2nd Street
Fond du Lac, WI 54935