The City of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, is a beautiful and thriving community of 44,678 located at the foot of Lake Winnebago. Fond du Lac is a great place to live and work and its recreational opportunities are second-to-none. In addition, Fond du Lac is only an hour away from Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Madison and all those communities have to offer.
The City of Fond du Lac is seeking candidates for the position of Principal Planner. This full-time position reports directly to the Director of Community Development managing and coordinating various functions of the City Planning Division – interpreting municipal zoning, subdivision, floodplain, and other development related ordinances; coordinating activities of the Board of Appeals, Plan Commission and other related boards & commissions; reviewing site plans; working with consultants as needed in preparation of area/corridor plans for the City and preparing various reports and records related to land use and development.
The qualified candidate will be responsible for the following:
• Providing information and interpreting municipal zoning, subdivision, floodplain, and other development related ordinances to developers, realtors, designers, property owners, and the general public;
• Acting as liaison for the Board of Appeals, Plan Commission, Downtown Architectural Review Board and the Historic Preservation Commission; receiving and analyzing petitions for variances and re-zonings, analyzing requests, conducting site visits, formulating recommendations and conditions of approval, and preparing reports, maps, and other documents as required;
• Managing the site plan review process for multifamily, commercial, and industrial development; receiving and distributing plan submittals;
• Administering and enforcing zoning codes; researching legal considerations of land use law, zoning, and subdivisions;
• Assisting in the implementation of the Comprehensive Plan, including map updates, map revisions, and text amendments; and
• Interacting with the public in various capacities.
Requirements include a Bachelor’s degree in Land Use Planning, or a related field, with three to five years zoning administration and land use planning experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. Three to five years floodplain experience preferred. Multi-lingual a plus.
The City of Fond du Lac offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, 457 and Roth retirement plans, and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. This continues to be one of the best-funded public employee retirement systems in the country. The financial strength of the WRS is attributable to its unique plan design, funding discipline, strong governance, and the effective investment strategies of the State of Wisconsin Investment Board. Relocation Assistance available.
The salary range is $76,335 – $92,840 based upon based upon knowledge, skills and abilities with potential to receive annual COLA and step increases pending City Council approval of budgets.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a completed application and resume describing your experience as it relates directly to this position. Applications reviewed upon receipt. You may obtain application materials by clicking here, or contacting City Human Resources at (920) 322-3624.