Fond du Lac
Are you ready for what’s next?
Come explore opportunities within Brunswick, a global marine leader committed to challenging conventions and innovating next-generation technologies that transform experiences on the water and beyond. Brunswick believes “Next Never Rests™,” and we offer a variety of exciting careers and growth opportunities within united teams defining the future of marine recreation.
As a Paint Engineer at Mercury Marine you will be responsible for providing engineering support to maintain and improve coatings and coating processes for current products and new product introductions.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support safety through proper laboratory processes.
- Maintain and troubleshoot Materials Lab analytical equipment required for coating testing including destructive and non-destructive testing.
- Develop work instructions for new test methods related to coating testing.
- Develop and validate new paint and coatings systems including cleaning, pre-treatments, E-coat, primers, basecoat, and top-coats
- Coordinate/conduct all tests required for validating coating and their performance and provide clear, concise documentation and direction on corrective/preventative actions.
- Work with outside contract laboratories for coating evaluation and testing as required.
- Support process validation for all new coating processes.
- Maintenance of Mercury internal paint specifications.
- Management of Color Standards and Color control
- Support ISO and other initiatives within the lab.
- Educating engineering, manufacturing, supplier quality, procurement, and external suppliers on Mercury paint specifications and test methods.
- Assist and educate Sourcing on required capabilities for potential new coating suppliers.
- Perform failure and root cause analyses on coating related failures from field returns as well as production issues from internal and external coating sources.
- Provide technical support to the quality and manufacturing teams with respect to material processing
- Support coating engineering projects at other Brunswick divisions when requested.
- Provide coaching and mentoring for peers.
- Identify and benchmark process metrics for coatings systems and application systems.
- Work cross-functionally with new product development teams on expanding coating systems capability and introducing / validating new coating system technology
- Work with coating suppliers to select and develop future coatings and coating systems for Mercury product
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability Requirements:
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an accredited university.
- 3+ years of related Paint Engineering experience in a paint application or manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of appropriate coating systems for metallic, polymer and composite components.
- Working knowledge of corrosion mechanisms and a coatings capability to mitigate those environmental effects.
- Knowledge and familiarity of ASTM and other test methods and methodologies for coating testing and evaluation as well as industry accepted standards of performance.
- Knowledge of color and appearance standards which incorporates the measurement techniques used and achievable industry tolerances.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings along with having general knowledge of tooling, machining, fixtures, assembly, as well as other manufacturing equipment needed to accomplish successful coating performance.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to lead internal and external cross-functional teams. High personal accountability, adaptability, and positive approach.
- Ability to present the results and provide recommendations of your work to cross-functional internal stakeholders, and to representatives of the external supply chain.
- Moderate travel to Brunswick and supplier facilities is required.
Preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Master of Science in Engineering from an accredited university
- Experience in high-volume manufacturing coating lines
- Knowledge of quality systems, SPC and analysis tools (Lean Six Sigma, DFSS) as related to continuous improvement, LSS Black Belt preferred
Next is Now!
We value growth and development, recognizing that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and inspiration. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
EEO is The Law – click here for more information
Brunswick does not accept applications, inquiries or solicitations from unapproved staffing agencies or vendors. For help, please contact our support team at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-278-6942.
All job offers will come to you via the candidate portal you create when applying through a posted position through https:///www.brunswick.com/careers. If you are ever unsure about what is being required of you during the application process or its source, please contact HR Shared Services at 866-278-6942 or HRSharedServices@brunswick.com.