Under general supervision, stretch, saw and stack material in accordance with specified operating procedures and instructions. Maintain appropriate records and documentation including work orders, billet and saw sheets. Load age ovens and start ovens to appropriate time cycle and temperature.
- Monitor extrusion on cooling table and operate stretchers in accordance with specified operating instructions. Check items such as badge dimensions, angles, flatness, wall thickness etc; Understanding of drawing (print) is essential to performing this job.
- Cut extrusions to specified length according to job instructions and stack on cart for transport to next operation.
- Prepare proper documentation, including work orders, travelers, etc; assuring that paperwork is distributed appropriately and the next operator has sufficient data and instructions.
- Read and interpret work order, instructions and any attached job operations prior to beginning job, ensuring that all associates are informed of any special instructions, which need to be followed.
- Maintain work area, equipment and supplies in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Comply with all safety rules and regulations including wearing of proper personal protective equipment and operating equipment in prescribed safe manner.
- Provide assistance in other departments as needed and/or requested, including fabrication, anodizing and packing departments.
- Forklift training and operation required.
- Operate automatic loader to place billet onto storage table and load into billet furnace.
- Responsible to know different alloys and sizes making sure the appropriate type and size is being used.
- Assist press operator with set up, die changes and cleanup of used tooling as necessary while wearing the appropriate PPE.
- Maintain appropriate records and documentation including production reports, control plans, and charts.
Education and/or Experience and Certifications and Licenses
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and one to six months related experience and/or training in extrusion procedures; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior work experience in a manufacturing environment desirable.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and route sheets.
Ability to work effectively with tools and equipment such as calipers, micrometers, pins, feeler gauges, squares, calculators, and other miscellaneous measuring instruments and small tools.
Ability to operate both stretchers and assist press operator in all functions when necessary.
Ability to work in a mechanically oriented environment, following applicable safety guidelines and procedures.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, advocating team concept and participative management style. Possess strong interpersonal sills, including the ability to interact effectively with diverse personalities and individuals at various levels within and outside the organization.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate regularly works near moving mechanical parts. The associate is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock. The associate is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme heat.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud to very loud.