This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by, assisting with meal preparation and overseeing food quality; will handle all staff meal prep questions, and quality or quality issues as well as monitor safety and sanitation procedures throughout the entire operation; will be responsible for providing supportive leadership to kitchen staff throughout food service.
- Lead and execute the day-to-day culinary operations of all areas of the kitchen to include, but not limited to, production of all meals, food quality and presentation, compliance with all safety and sanitation standards and regulations, team member productivity and performance, implementation of policies and procedures, cost controls and overall profitability.
- Create and implement new menus and standardizations, focusing on guest experience, quality and freshness and cost control.
- Conduct weekly ordering of food and supplies, and complete monthly inventories.
- Monitor and maintain food and labor costs according to budget through proper planning and execution.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, local and company health, safety, sanitation and alcohol service standards.
- Perform management duties including, but not limited to, systems management, budgeting/costing, report generation, equipment maintenance, department management and meeting participation and facilitation.
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training.
- Complies with all HACCP policies and procedures.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training, and hazard assessments.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all regulations and standards of health and safety are met at all times, and that the kitchen remains hygienic.
- Must have a flexible schedule with availability to work evenings and weekends.
- Informs supervisor immediately of any equipment malfunctions or breaks down or if any safety or sanitation hazards are suspected or exist.
- Assists in training new employees, as requested by supervisor.
- Attends department meetings and in-service programs, as required.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- At least 2 years of Culinary Management experience in a fast-paced kitchen environment with knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, presentation, sanitation, and food cost controls.
- Strong knowledge and attention to detail on back of the house operations including: staff supervision, inventory controls and food/labor costs, and product quality.
- Understanding of COGS, P&L Statements & inventory management.
- Strong communication, leadership, and conflict resolution skills.
- Stable and progressive work history; strong work ethic.
- Experience training/leading staff.
- Be able to stand for 10+ hours at a time and lift at minimum 50lbs.
- Be available to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- ServSafe certified.
- Ability to hold a positive & professional demeanor under stress.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and request clarification when needed.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment quickly scraping, stacking and rinsing dishes is crucial.
- Ability to interact professionally with coworkers and customers, particularly in conflict situations.
- Ability to talk politely and resolve customer service issues.
- Ability to multitask, meet specific deadlines, and prioritize tasks and assignments.
- Ability to concentrate and focus in a noisy damp, warm, fast paced environment.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to support the Mission and Core Values of Marian University.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and name, address and telephone number of three references to email@example.com. Please use “Sous Chef” in the subject line of the email.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment.